Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
R Dunn R Dunn is offline

Default Numbering Appendix Headings in Word 2007

Hi all,

I've tried to follow the instructions from Shauna Kelly's webpage
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html
as per the suggestion in a previous post on this topic (see below).

but I'm getting stuck at the very first part where she says:

"2 How to create your outline numbering

Put your cursor in a Heading 1 paragraph.

In Word 2002 and Word 2003, choose Format Styles and Formatting.
Right-click where it says "Heading 1", then choose Modify Format
Numbering. (In earlier versions of Word, choose Format Style Modify
Format, and choose Numbering.)

Click the Outline Numbered Tab........."

and the instructions continue from there.

My problem is that when I try to modify Heading 1, the only numbering option
it gives me is bullets & numbering, & Shauna explicitly says NOT to use this
button. I'm using Word2007, with its funny menu bars. So I'm not sure if I'm
on the wrong menu bar (I've been using the "Home" menu bar, under "Styles"),
or what.

Any ideas????

Thanks in advance

Rebecca

Unless you're using way too many heading levels in the body of the document,
the trick for the appendixes is to use unused heading levels. This will
allow you to include the appendix number in page numbers (in a way that will
show up in the TOC), figure captions, etc. See
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html for
instructions.

"Jason Doelling" wrote in message
I believe I can't do what I'm trying, but wanted to see if anyone had
recommendations I've overlooked.

I do technical writing for a company and have been tasked with putting
together a rather large, multi-part, living document. I'm good at using

the
built-in header styles, page numbering, TOC and captioning and have
successfully set up the core document as I want it. (Roman numerals for
front matter page numbers, etc.) Everything works fine. (Page numbering,
cross-referencing, auto-TOC, TOT and TOF, etc.) Problem is I've been

asked
to use chapter numbering in the Appendicies (i.e., Appendix A starts at

A-1)
and Attachments (i.e., Attachment 1 starts at 1-1) since those sections

will
be built/updated over time by different people and "added on" to the core
document. My nirvana goal is to set up a single template that other

authors
can use to develop their sections and then insert their work into the core
Word document, update the captions and TOCs and publish as a single file.

I set up two additional outline list formats that include the Appendix and
Attachment numbers and also created two new sets of Heading styles linked

the outlining format as well as the built in heading formate. (To keep it
looking consistent.) Everything works great in building the document
content. However, captioning only lets me link to the built-in Heading
styles. (I'd like to create new Table and Figure caption lables that link

the Appendix and Attachment headers, respectively.) Also, while I can
manually add a cross-reference to the section number in the Appendix and
Attachment footers, the TOC doesn't grab it since it's not part of the

"Page"
tag.

An obvious solution is to have a separate file for each section type

(core,
Appendicies and Attachments), but then I'm assuming I'd have to manually
build the TOC. (Although I can auto-generate it in each section, cut and
paste "as text" to put it all together.) The project screams for a

desktop
publishing solution, but that's a non-starter for numerous reasons. Right
now, if I can just find a working solution for the TOC/TOT/TOF page-number
references I can live with manually inserting a Section reference and
resetting the numbering on the Appendix/Attachment captions.

If Word had the ability to: a) assign section-specific heading styles, and
b) not force the name and text of a caption label to be one in the same,

this
would be a slam dunk. In lieu of Microsoft recoding Word just for me, any
other recommendations?

Many thanks ...
--
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, Word 2007 no longer allows you to go via the Modify Style dialog box
when you want to modify outline/multilevel numbering (unless you are using a
list style). Instead, you will have to start by pressing the Multilevel List
button on the Home tab. Then pick a numbering scheme that displays the
heading styles (if you want to number headings).

Use the Define New Multilevel List command to create or modify a numbering
scheme. Clicking it will display the Define New Multilevel List dialog box
(which corresponds to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box in Word
97-2003).

When modifying numbering, it is probably still a good idea to place the
insertion point inside the top-level paragraph of a list.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
R Dunn R Dunn is offline

Thanks Stefan

I'll give that a go.

Rebecca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"R Dunn" wrote in message
Thanks Stefan

I'll give that a go.

Rebecca

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
R Dunn R Dunn is offline

Also, for anyone who's looking for it, the multi-level list button is to the
right of the bullets & numbering buttons on the Home tab.