Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenny Bones[_2_] Kenny Bones[_2_] is offline

Default Customizing Table of Contents

Hi, I'm wondering how I can customize the Table of Contents in Word 2003?
I know that TOC are based on Heading 1-9 and the style of the contents
itself is based on the TOC styles.

However, I want a special numbering format to the Table of Contents that
looks like this:

1. Introduction
2. Purpose
3. Research
3.1. Location
3.2. Work receipts
3.4. Trafic
4. Temperature
4.1. Measurements
4.2. Measuring Methods
4.2.1. Trace Measuring
4.2.2. Friction Measuring

Etc.

How would I go about doing this?

The Heading 1-9 should have it's own style and as far as I understand, the
appearance of these styles doesn't affect the appearance of the TOC styles,
am I right?

So, where do I put the numbering formatting?
Should I create a new style called "TOCNumbering" and add correct numbering
to that style and set Numbering on Heading 1-9 to use TOCNumbering as
numbering styles? How would that affect the TOC? Should the TOC-styles also
have Numbering applied?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It looks like the specific unusual thing you want is to have the
chapter numbers right-aligned?

Go into each of the ToC styles and mark the first tab stop as right-
aligned.

On Apr 27, 4:49*am, Kenny Bones
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"grammatim" wrote:

It looks like the specific unusual thing you want is to have the
chapter numbers right-aligned?

Go into each of the ToC styles and mark the first tab stop as right-
aligned.

First tab stop? Where can I find that? Is it the same as "tabs" that I can
find when modifyen the TOC styles? I've been playing around with that, but I
can't really find what it's good for. I thought I had to tweak the
Indentation of each step? I managed to do just that by reversing the
indentation so the normal layout is "mirrored" so to say. This seems to work
though.
Are you saying that there's an easier way to do this?

And another thing, I want a border around each chapter in the Table of
contents.
Like this:
1. Introduction
2. Purpose
3. Research
3.1. Location
3.2. Work receipts
3.4. Trafic
4. Temperature
4.1. Measurements
4.2. Measuring Methods
4.2.1. Trace Measuring
4.2.2. Friction Measuring

But I'm having a hard time trying to get this to work.
For example, the first TOC style, if I set a border at the top only, I only
get it round the first entry of the style. If you take a look at the Table of
contents I wrote above, you can see that the two first entries of the TOC are
on the same level. And for some reason, these two are "grouped" together, so
I only get a border around the first one of them. If I set the TOC1 style to
use a full border, I get a border around both of them, like they're grouped
together.

Any light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenny Bones[_2_] Kenny Bones[_2_] is offline

Update on that, the first THREE entries are on the same TOC level.
And all of these get grouped together, like this:

1. Introduction

2. Purpose

3. Research
3.1. Location
3.2. Work receipts
3.4. Trafic
4. Temperature
4.1. Measurements
4.2. Measuring Methods
4.2.1. Trace Measuring
4.2.2. Friction Measuring

I want each one of these to have a border at the top and not have them
grouped together like this.

"Kenny Bones" wrote:

"grammatim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As for any style, the details of the tab settings are found in Modify
Format Tabs. Each tab on the ruler has its own line on that panel;

select the line for the first tab stop (maybe it has a position of
0.5") and select Right instead of Left.

Suzanne gave you info on adding the border lines.

On Apr 27, 8:52*am, Kenny Bones
wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You need a Horizontal Inside Border as well as a Top Border.

http://word.mvps.org

Yes, that makes sense. But the thing is, it doesn't seem like I'm able to
add an inline horizontal border to the TOC style. I mean, I add it through
formatting, but once I update the Table of contents, the border is removed.
What I need is to be able to add an inline horizontal border to each TOC
styles. And there is no button for inline horizontal border when I go and
edit the TOC styles, only top and bottom borders.. This needs to be dynamic
or I can't use borders at all.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenny Bones[_2_] Kenny Bones[_2_] is offline

I don't understand, there must be something wrong here, or bugs or something.
Or you don't understand my problem issue.
The tab stops doesn't seem to do anything to the chapter numbers, only to
the page numbers. Perhaps it's got something to do with the fact that I've
set the Heading styles to use Spaces after the chapter number instead of the
default Tab button? The reason I did this is because there seemed to be a bug
when using the Tab button, since I had the exact same settings for each
Heading style, but still the space between the chapter number and the Heading
itself seemed to vary. When using spaces instead, everything worked out fine.

So by default, if I want the chapter numbers of the Table of Contents to be
aligned mirrored, I have to use Tab Stops? In that case, what does the
indentation do?

wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, you should never try to use spaces to align items vertically,
because (unless you're using a mono spaced font like Courier)
characters have different widths. So you need to insert a tab to mark
where you want your headings to start in the ToC, but you _also_ need
to insert a tab a little to the left of that one (marked Right) for
the heading numbers to align with. Each ToC entry then needs to start
with a tab character in order to have the numbers meet that one. And
there needs to be a tab after the heading number to get the titles to
line up, and finally a tab after the title to get the page number to
line up.

(I'm not a regular user of outline numbering, but I believe you can
put a "prefix" on a paragraph number in its style, and that's where
your tab character would go; and also as a "suffix.")

Indentation wouldn't be involved here (unless you have long headings
that might break onto a second line, and that would be handled with a
Hanging Indent).

Your internal horizontal border should be available in the same panel
as your top and bottom borders.

wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Horizontal Inside Border will be available in Format | Borders and
Shading if you select two or more TOC entries. Or you can use the Horizontal
Inside Border from the Borders palette (button on the Formatting toolbar).
Because TOC styles are set to update automatically, making this change to
one or more entries will update the style. You'll also need to apply a
Bottom border to the style in order to get the bottom border on the last
Heading 1.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You need a Horizontal Inside Border as well as a Top Border.

http://word.mvps.org

Yes, that makes sense. But the thing is, it doesn't seem like I'm able to
add an inline horizontal border to the TOC style. I mean, I add it through
formatting, but once I update the Table of contents, the border is
removed.
What I need is to be able to add an inline horizontal border to each TOC
styles. And there is no button for inline horizontal border when I go and
edit the TOC styles, only top and bottom borders.. This needs to be
dynamic
or I can't use borders at all.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The problem with this solution is that you cannot add a tab before the auto
number permanently. You can right-align the numbers through the Numbering
dialog, but only for the headings, or for the TOC entries if the numbering
is added to the TOC style rather than picked up from the headings.

If the TOC entries pick up the numbering from the headings, there's not much
you can do in the way of formatting, but if you set a hanging indent, the
tab following the numbers will go to that position, since there is an
automatic tab stop there (unless you've disabled it through the
Compatibility Options).

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenny Bones[_2_] Kenny Bones[_2_] is offline

I just can't get the tabs to align in the Heading Styles!
I mean, the numbering is setup like default, where the numbering level 2
inherits from Heading 1, numbering level 3 inherit from Heading 2 etc.
And each level has a "follow number with Tab character" set.

But nevertheless, in the document itself, the headings doesn't have a
consistent Tab betwean the level number and the chapter title itself.
It looks something like this:

1. Heading 1
1.1Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3
1.1.1.1 Heading 4

And it IS a tab stop betwean each chapter number and the title itself, but
the size of the tab stop varies on each heading-style.

I even tried to create a new list and copy the settings from those
Heading-styles and something similar happened there as well. What determines
the size of each tab stop?

And another thing about the borders, there are no button for the inline
horizontal border when editing styles, although I CAN apply it by first
change the formatting on the style and then click to match styles to
formatting. That way the horizontal border gets added to the style. But I
can't do it by editing the style itself. Sounds like a bug.

Anyway, although I did manage to add the borders, the borders follow the
indent of each TOC. Which means that it doesn't look right. I would like the
border to be consistant with each TOC style and not follow the indent of the
style. Is this possible? I also noticed another thing, if I add a top border,
inline horizontal border and bottom border to each style, it looks perfect if
the styles are all in the same indentation. Like this:

TOC1
TOC2

But if say, TOC2 have a different indetation than TOC1, it end up looking
like this:

TOC1
TOC2

Except the border betwean TOC1 and TOC2 don't merge like they do when
they're on the same indentation level. There actually appear two borders
around 2 pixels from each other. I'm afraid I can't just remove one of the
borders, like bottom border from TOC1 or Top border from TOC2, since the TOC
should be dynamic from the content of the document itself.

wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to set custom indents for the numbered styles to accommodate the
length of the numbers at each level. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for general
principles.

See also http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NumberAlignment.htm (Word 2003
and earlier) or http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/N...gnment2007.htm,
as appropriate.

wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, you've found your problem. You do need the "tab after" in the numbering
scheme so you can right align the numbers on the TOC.

If you choose to change the numbering scheme to add the tab after, then you
can modify each of your TOC styles by setting a right tab far enough right to
accommodate all the heading numbers and then a left tab at least .1" beyond
the right tab. Insert a tab at the beginning of TOC line to right align the
numbers.

For the borders, you can place each TOC entry in a table with borders above
and below. You can adjust the space between the tables by changing the point
size of the returns between them. Note, though, that the tabs, tables, and
returns in the TOC text are manual formatting that have to be redone whenever
the TOC is regenerated.

HTH,
Pam

Kenny Bones wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 56 lines]

Any light on this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Apr 28, 9:57*am, Kenny Bones
wrote:
I just can't get the tabs to align in the Heading Styles!
I mean, the numbering is setup like default, where the numbering level 2
inherits from Heading 1, numbering level 3 inherit from Heading 2 etc.
And each level has a "follow number with Tab character" set.

But nevertheless, in the document itself, the headings doesn't have a
consistent Tab betwean the level number and the chapter title itself.
It looks something like this:

1. *Heading 1
1.1Heading 2
1.1.1 * * Heading 3
1.1.1.1 * * * * * *Heading 4

And it IS a tab stop betwean each chapter number and the title itself, but
the size of the tab stop varies on each heading-style.

You just need to move the tab stops to where you want them. You can do
it by moving the black L's in the ruler, and then in the Modify Style
panel, tell it to Match Current Selection; or you go to the Format
Tabs panel in Modify Style and set the tab stop with its distance from
the left.

I even tried to create a new list and copy the settings from those
Heading-styles and something similar happened there as well. What determines
the size of each tab stop?

The default is probably 0.5", but there's no reason to keep that if it
doesn't look right. (When the text at the beginning of the line
extends beyond the first tab stop, the tab takes you to the next tab
stop.)

And another thing about the borders, there are no button for the inline
horizontal border when editing styles, although I CAN apply it by first
change the formatting on the style and then click to match styles to
formatting. That way the horizontal border gets added to the style. But I
can't do it by editing the style itself. Sounds like a bug.

In 2003 I don't remember buttons, just the graphic display, where you
click on different parts of the boxes to turn on the borders in
particular places.

Anyway, although I did manage to add the borders, the borders follow the
indent of each TOC. Which means that it doesn't look right. I would like the
border to be consistant with each TOC style and not follow the indent of the
style. Is this possible? I also noticed another thing, if I add a top border,
inline horizontal border and bottom border to each style, it looks perfect if
the styles are all in the same indentation. Like this:

TOC1
TOC2

But if say, TOC2 have a different indetation than TOC1, it end up looking
like this:

TOC1
* * ------------------------------------------
* *TOC2
* * ------------------------------------------

Except the border betwean TOC1 and TOC2 don't merge like they do when
they're on the same indentation level. There actually appear two borders
around 2 pixels from each other. I'm afraid I can't just remove one of the
borders, like bottom border from TOC1 or Top border from TOC2, since the TOC
should be dynamic from the content of the document itself.

Yes, borders do follow the paragraph edges. I suppose you could use
lines drawn with the drawing tool, but I can only tell you how to
attach them to styles in FrameMaker ...

wrote:
"grammatim" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenny Bones[_2_] Kenny Bones[_2_] is offline

Hi, just thought I'd give som information regarding the fact that I couldn't
add an inline horizontal border to the tables I had. The reason is that if
you have a table which contains only one row, the option to add an inline
border is not available. Mekes sense though, but I CAN add it anyway by
updating the style to match selection if I manually insert an inline border
after I've inserted another row. And then delete the row. That way, the
setting of the inline border is still there, even though there isn't any
second row.