Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ryanong ryanong is offline

Default Ctrl-b does not bold

Would appreciate anyone's suggestions:
Ctrl-b and ctrl-shift-b does not bold.
However, ctrl-u and ctrl-i works so it's not a problem with my ctrl button.
I've reset the keyboard shortcuts in word 2007 and that didn't fix the
problem either.
Same problem occurs in excel.
any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ryanong ryanong is offline

Font is times new roman.
I am able to make it bold by either highlighting the bold option using the
mouse or inputing a new shortcut so would assume that the bold variant of the
font is installed.

"ryanong" wrote in message
Would appreciate anyone's suggestions:
Ctrl-b and ctrl-shift-b does not bold.
However, ctrl-u and ctrl-i works so it's not a problem with my ctrl
button.
I've reset the keyboard shortcuts in word 2007 and that didn't fix the
problem either.
Same problem occurs in excel.
any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case, it seems likely that the shortcut has somehow become
unassigned. Go to Tools | Customize: Keyboard and select Format in the
Categories list and Bold in the Commands list. Is Ctrl+B displayed under
"Current keys"? If not, enter it and assign it. When you enter it, pay close
attention to the "Currently assigned to" notice (if any), which might
indicate some obscure function that has hijacked the shortcut. You can then
find that command and unassign it.

"ryanong" wrote in message
Would appreciate anyone's suggestions:
Ctrl-b and ctrl-shift-b does not bold.
However, ctrl-u and ctrl-i works so it's not a problem with my ctrl
button.
I've reset the keyboard shortcuts in word 2007 and that didn't fix the
problem either.
Same problem occurs in excel.
any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ryanong ryanong is offline

sorry, did i mention this was word 2007?

when i go to word options customize keyboard shortcuts: customize
category: home tab commands: bold, "ctrl+b" & "ctrl+shift+b" are both
entered under current keys.

the funny thing is when i enter ctrl+b (or ctrl+shift+b) in the "press new
shortcut key", nothing happens regardless of which command i'm trying to
assign it to but when i enter ctrl+u in the "press new shortcut key", it says
that it is "currently assigned to:underline"

for some strange reason, word just dosen't seem to want to acknowledge the
existence of the ctrl+b combination.

"ryanong" wrote in message
Would appreciate anyone's suggestions:
Ctrl-b and ctrl-shift-b does not bold.
However, ctrl-u and ctrl-i works so it's not a problem with my ctrl
button.
I've reset the keyboard shortcuts in word 2007 and that didn't fix the
problem either.
Same problem occurs in excel.
any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect that something upstream may have grabbed that shortcut.
Occasionally Windows will appropriate a Word shortcut (we no sooner
discovered that Ctrl+Alt+U would remove table borders than some users
discovered that this was reserved for a Windows function in some versions of
Windows), and eons ago I had to assign Ctrl+M to an em dash because
Ctrl+Shift+M mysteriously wasn't available; I learned much later that it was
the shortcut used by my AfterDark screensaver for Mute. I haven't had
AfterDark installed for over a decade now, but I still use Ctrl+M for an em
dash (but Ctrl+Shift+N for an en dash).

"ryanong" wrote in message
yup...still dosen't work.
puzzling???

"ryanong" wrote in message
Would appreciate anyone's suggestions:
Ctrl-b and ctrl-shift-b does not bold.
However, ctrl-u and ctrl-i works so it's not a problem with my
ctrl
button.
I've reset the keyboard shortcuts in word 2007 and that didn't
fix
the
problem either.
Same problem occurs in excel.
any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What other applications do you have running in the background in Windows
that might have hijacked the command?

ryanong wrote:
yup...still dosen't work.
puzzling???

"ryanong" wrote in message
Would appreciate anyone's suggestions:
Ctrl-b and ctrl-shift-b does not bold.
However, ctrl-u and ctrl-i works so it's not a problem with my
ctrl button.
I've reset the keyboard shortcuts in word 2007 and that didn't
fix the
problem either.
Same problem occurs in excel.
any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ryanong ryanong is offline

eureka! thanks!
No applications running so went hunting processes. Shut down one by one
until i found the culprit - ezagent installed with ASUS My Cinema U3000 mini.
Apparently this is a know fault with ASUS My Cinema U3000 mini. It takes
over ctrl-[key] functions....how annoying!
Thanks again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suspect that something upstream may have grabbed that shortcut.
Occasionally Windows will appropriate a Word shortcut (we no sooner
discovered that Ctrl+Alt+U would remove table borders than some users
discovered that this was reserved for a Windows function in some versions of
Windows), and eons ago I had to assign Ctrl+M to an em dash because
Ctrl+Shift+M mysteriously wasn't available; I learned much later that it was
the shortcut used by my AfterDark screensaver for Mute. I haven't had
AfterDark installed for over a decade now, but I still use Ctrl+M for an em
dash (but Ctrl+Shift+N for an en dash).

"ryanong" wrote in message
yup...still dosen't work.
puzzling???

"ryanong" wrote in message
Would appreciate anyone's suggestions:
Ctrl-b and ctrl-shift-b does not bold.
However, ctrl-u and ctrl-i works so it's not a problem with my
ctrl
button.
I've reset the keyboard shortcuts in word 2007 and that didn't
fix
the
problem either.
Same problem occurs in excel.
any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad you got this sorted. That really is extremely presumptuous--thanks for
the warning about ASUS My Cinema U3000 mini!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suspect that something upstream may have grabbed that shortcut.
Occasionally Windows will appropriate a Word shortcut (we no sooner
discovered that Ctrl+Alt+U would remove table borders than some users
discovered that this was reserved for a Windows function in some versions
of
Windows), and eons ago I had to assign Ctrl+M to an em dash because
Ctrl+Shift+M mysteriously wasn't available; I learned much later that it
was
the shortcut used by my AfterDark screensaver for Mute. I haven't had
AfterDark installed for over a decade now, but I still use Ctrl+M for an
em
dash (but Ctrl+Shift+N for an en dash).

"ryanong" wrote in message
yup...still dosen't work.