Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fester Bestertester Fester Bestertester is offline

Default How To Prevent "Final Showing Markup" State?

Greetings,

Word 2003, sp3.

We have a document with change tracking turned on. But we want the
document to always open in "Original" state with no markup showing. We
also want to ensure that the document opens in "Original" state when we
e-mail it to other users.

So far the document always seems to open in "Final Showing Markup"
state, no matter what we do.

Here are the things we've tried that didn't work:

1. On the Reviewing Toolbar, we selected Show | Original, and unchecked
Comments, Ink Annotations, Insertions and Deletions, and Formatting. We
then set the "Display for Review" setting to "Original" and saved and
closed. We added an empty line just to make sure the document had a
change just before we saved and closed. When we re-opened, the file
displayed in "Final Showing Markup" state.

2. We went to File | Properties | Custom, and cleared all the items in
the Properties box. Repeated step #1. When we re-opened, the file
displayed in "Final Showing Markup" state.

3. We went to Tools | Options | Security and unchecked the "Make hidden
markup visible when opening or saving" checkbox. Repeated step #1. When
we re-opened, the file displayed in "Final Showing Markup" state.

So to reiterate, the question is, how to we ensure that the document
will always open in Original state with no markup showing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Whether or not the document opens this way is (partly) a user-controlled
option. You have no control over what others see in this situation.

If you have the security option you mention cleared both when you save the
document and when you open it you should not see the markup.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Fester Bestertester" wrote in message
[...]

Properties box. Repeated step #1. When we re-opened, the file displayed in
"Final Showing Markup" state.

3. We went to Tools | Options | Security and unchecked the "Make hidden
markup visible when opening or saving" checkbox. Repeated step #1. When we
re-opened, the file displayed in "Final Showing Markup" state.

So to reiterate, the question is, how to we ensure that the document will
always open in Original state with no markup showing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fester Bestertester Fester Bestertester is offline

Hmmm...

So it sounds as if the user wants to share the document but doesn't want
other users to be able to see the markup at all, they need to copy all
the text into a new document?

Tony Jollans wrote:
Whether or not the document opens this way is (partly) a user-controlled
option. You have no control over what others see in this situation.

If you have the security option you mention cleared both when you save
the document and when you open it you should not see the markup.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Yes - or, perhaps, accept all changes, e-mail the document (from Word,
without saving the document), and undo or close without saving.