Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tony Logan Tony Logan is offline

Default column span detection

I do a lot of extracting PDF data using Acrobat's native text/table select
tool.

When I copy a table in a PDF, then paste it into Word, I then frequently
save the Word doc as HTML. Frequently, when I look at my HTML, I discover
that many of the table columns span 2 or more columns, even though in Word,
the column appears to be just one column.

Is there any way in Word to determine if a column really is a single column,
or if it spans multiple columns?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Tony Logan wrote:
I do a lot of extracting PDF data using Acrobat's native text/table select
tool.

When I copy a table in a PDF, then paste it into Word, I then frequently
save the Word doc as HTML. Frequently, when I look at my HTML, I discover
that many of the table columns span 2 or more columns, even though in
Word,
the column appears to be just one column.

Is there any way in Word to determine if a column really is a single
column,
or if it spans multiple columns?

Hi Tony,

:-(
No, not really. Word handles this differently than HTML, and there isn't an
easy way to get at the colspan (or rowspan), short of saving as HTML.

You can find out whether there are any merged cells easily (If
myTable.Uniform Then ...).

For a work-around regarding the colspan by Jeff Hall (don't know if it'll
help; depends on what you want to do) see:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/GetRowColSpan.htm

Regards,
Klaus