Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
IllinoisFarmLover IllinoisFarmLover is offline

Default How to word wrap a URL

I need to know how to get a URL within a document to word wrap. I do not
need the URL to be a hyperlink. When I type a reference list at the end of a
school paper, the entire URL in a citation is always kept together, and the
final formatting of the citation looks terrible.

Any suggestions? I need simple directions if this is even possible.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to word wrap a URL

Yes, it is possible to word wrap a URL in Microsoft Word. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Highlight the URL that you want to word wrap.
  2. Right-click on the highlighted URL and select "Format Cells" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, select the "Alignment" tab.
  4. Under the "Text control" section, check the box next to "Wrap text."
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now, the URL should be word wrapped within the cell. If you want to adjust the width of the cell to fit the word-wrapped URL, you can do so by dragging the column boundary to the desired width.

If you are not working with a table, you can achieve the same result by selecting the URL and then clicking on the "Wrap Text" button in the "Home" tab of the ribbon. This will automatically adjust the width of the cell to fit the word-wrapped URL.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Pick a likely spot and insert a No-Width Optional Break (Insert | Symbol |
Special Characters).

"IllinoisFarmLover" wrote in
message ...
I need to know how to get a URL within a document to word wrap. I do not
need the URL to be a hyperlink. When I type a reference list at the end
of a
school paper, the entire URL in a citation is always kept together, and
the
final formatting of the citation looks terrible.

Any suggestions? I need simple directions if this is even possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
IllinoisFarmLover IllinoisFarmLover is offline

I tried your suggestion, and it did not work. Here is what I did, maybe you
can figure out what I am doing wrong.

My text would show something like this:

Retrieved (date) at
http://www...

So I put my cursor right after the 't' in at, clicked Insert, Symbol,
Special Characters, then chose No-Width Optional Break, and clicked on
Insert, then Close.

When I got back to my document view, I tried to bring the URL back to the
line on which the 'at' resides by clicking Backspace just before the 'http',
but it would do nothing but bring the 'at' down next to the 'http'.

So what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Pick a likely spot and insert a No-Width Optional Break (Insert | Symbol |
Special Characters).

"IllinoisFarmLover" wrote in
message ...
I need to know how to get a URL within a document to word wrap. I do not
need the URL to be a hyperlink. When I type a reference list at the end
of a
school paper, the entire URL in a citation is always kept together, and
the
final formatting of the citation looks terrible.

Any suggestions? I need simple directions if this is even possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I think there's some misunderstanding about the "pick a likely spot" instruction
-- it seems IllinoisFarmLover put the break character before the beginning of
the URL and expected that to somehow make the URL break at the right place.

The No-Width Optional Break must be inserted somewhere in the middle of the URL,
so that the part before the break can fit on the line with the preceding text
and the part after the break goes on the next line.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Pick a likely spot and insert a No-Width Optional Break (Insert | Symbol

Special Characters).

"IllinoisFarmLover" wrote
in
message ...
I need to know how to get a URL within a document to word wrap. I do
not
need the URL to be a hyperlink. When I type a reference list at the
end
of a
school paper, the entire URL in a citation is always kept together, and
the
final formatting of the citation looks terrible.

Any suggestions? I need simple directions if this is even possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
IllinoisFarmLover IllinoisFarmLover is offline

That's exactly what I did - now I understand what to do, and it worked like a
charm. Thanks so much for being patient with a non-geek like me.
Appreciate all of your help!