Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
revvinon

Default I am using Office 2000 and when using Microsoft Word...

I have Office 2000 and Windows XP. When I use Microsoft Word and I modify a
document, it creates a hidden file that has ~$ in the first 2 characters of
the file name such as: "myfile.doc" becomes "~$file.doc". I am just
wondering if this is a "normal" occurance or something to worry about. The
file used to stay on my computer but I see now that it disappears. Would
this be just a "temporary file" that is created when I create documents and
modify them? I cannot read anything within the file created.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Yes, it's a temporary file created by Word, and it's normal. It should be
deleted when you close the document.

"revvinon" wrote in message
I have Office 2000 and Windows XP. When I use Microsoft Word and I modify
document, it creates a hidden file that has ~$ in the first 2 characters
of
the file name such as: "myfile.doc" becomes "~$file.doc". I am just
wondering if this is a "normal" occurance or something to worry about.
The
file used to stay on my computer but I see now that it disappears. Would
this be just a "temporary file" that is created when I create documents
and
modify them? I cannot read anything within the file created.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Jezebel has said, see €śDescription of how Word creates
temporary files€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632 for an
explanation of the "owner file" (which you describe) and other temp files
Word creates.