lajinchi

Default How do I get Word to decode an rtf file

I have been sent a Word produced rtf file (don't know which version of Word)
which my version of Word (2000) does not decode. Is there some other reader I
should have? The first few lines of the document a-

filename="Itinerary - WYNNE/J .rtf"

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1255\fbidis\deff0\deflang1037\d eftab720
\paperw11906\paperh16838\ltrdoc
\margt0
{\defformat\doctype0\viewkind0\viewzk0\psz9}
{\fonttbl{\f0\fprq2\ Arial
}{\f1\fprq2\ Times New Roman}{\f2\fprq2\ Arial}{\f3\fprq2\ Arial}{\f4\fprq2\
Herb Tyson [MVP]

In File - Open, make sure that Files of Type is not set to "Recover text
from any file". In later versions of Word, that automatically gets set to a
different Files of Type if you use the recover feature. In Word 2000,
however, it gets stuck there until you manually set it to something
different.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"lajinchi" wrote in message
I have been sent a Word produced rtf file (don't know which version of
Word)
which my version of Word (2000) does not decode. Is there some other
reader I
should have? The first few lines of the document a-

filename="Itinerary - WYNNE/J .rtf"

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1255\fbidis\deff0\deflang1037\d eftab720
\paperw11906\paperh16838\ltrdoc
\margt0
{\defformat\doctype0\viewkind0\viewzk0\psz9}
{\fonttbl{\f0\fprq2\ Arial
}{\f1\fprq2\ Times New Roman}{\f2\fprq2\ Arial}{\f3\fprq2\
Arial}{\f4\fprq2\

lajinchi

I did as you suggested and checked that the "Files of Type" box was set to
"Rich Text Format (*.rtf), then clicked on the file. A box appears called
"Convert File". If I select "Text Only" I get the undecoded rtf file of which
I posted a few lines. If I select in the "Convert File" box the "Rich text
Format" option, Word then presents me with a box which says "The document
name or path is not valid. Try these sugggestions *Check the file permissions
for the document or drive * Use the File Open dialog box to locate the
document (C:\Windows\Profiles\Tony\....\Wynne.rtf)*. This is for a document
that already opens, undecoded, quite normally! What is going on????

*I shortened the name by renaming it to Wynne.rtf

"lajinchi" wrote in message
I have been sent a Word produced rtf file (don't know which version of
Word)
which my version of Word (2000) does not decode. Is there some other
reader I
should have? The first few lines of the document a-

filename="Itinerary - WYNNE/J .rtf"

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1255\fbidis\deff0\deflang1037\d eftab720
\paperw11906\paperh16838\ltrdoc
\margt0
{\defformat\doctype0\viewkind0\viewzk0\psz9}
{\fonttbl{\f0\fprq2\ Arial
}{\f1\fprq2\ Times New Roman}{\f2\fprq2\ Arial}{\f3\fprq2\
Arial}{\f4\fprq2\

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

From the sample of the file you provided it appears
that the file is encoded as Hebrew text.

Are you using a Hebrew edition of Word or have you
enabled use of Hebrew?

Office 2000 may not include the
Start=Programs=Microsoft Office Language Settings Tool
of later editions.

=========
"lajinchi" wrote in message ...
I did as you suggested and checked that the "Files of Type" box was set to
"Rich Text Format (*.rtf), then clicked on the file. A box appears called
"Convert File". If I select "Text Only" I get the undecoded rtf file of which
I posted a few lines. If I select in the "Convert File" box the "Rich text
Format" option, Word then presents me with a box which says "The document
name or path is not valid. Try these sugggestions *Check the file permissions
for the document or drive * Use the File Open dialog box to locate the
document (C:\Windows\Profiles\Tony\....\Wynne.rtf)*. This is for a document
that already opens, undecoded, quite normally! What is going on????

*I shortened the name by renaming it to Wynne.rtf
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

lajinchi

Thanks Bob. No I am not using the Hebrew edition of Word, I am using the UK
English version. The file is an itinery which was sent from a travel agent -
so I have no idea what version created the file - to someone who emailed it
to me to keep me informed. He could read it on his machine at work, I can't.
Word 2000 pro version does have the MS Office Tools language settings
facility. Hebrew is not enabled and the box by Hebrew says Hebrew (not
supported by system).

From the sample of the file you provided it appears

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Open with... does not include Word Flip Microsoft Word Help 14 March 9th 05 02:35 PM