Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Earl Grey Earl Grey is offline

Default Word 2002: Options Always Revert to Default

Hello:

I have Word 2002 on Win XP Home SP 2. Recently I noticed that all the
settings in Tools - Options had reverted to the defaults. I redid all my
settings, saved them and closed the program. When I re-opened the
program, the selections were back at the defaults.

I deleted normal.dot and re-opened Word. I made my selections in Tools -
Options and they remained so long as the program was opened. When I
closed Word I was asked whether I wanted to save changes to normal.dot.
I agreed. But the next time I opened Word, the settings were back at the
defaults!

How can I get Word to maintain my settings in Tools - Options? Thanks
for your help.

Earl Grey
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sounds like Normal.dot is not being saved. As a temporary fix, you can use
Shift+File | Save All to ensure that it gets saved, but you need to figure
out why it's not being saved. It you are running Adobe Acrobat 7, see the
last section of http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

"Earl Grey" wrote in message
Hello:

I have Word 2002 on Win XP Home SP 2. Recently I noticed that all the
settings in Tools - Options had reverted to the defaults. I redid all my
settings, saved them and closed the program. When I re-opened the
program, the selections were back at the defaults.

I deleted normal.dot and re-opened Word. I made my selections in Tools -
Options and they remained so long as the program was opened. When I
closed Word I was asked whether I wanted to save changes to normal.dot.
I agreed. But the next time I opened Word, the settings were back at the
defaults!

How can I get Word to maintain my settings in Tools - Options? Thanks
for your help.

Earl Grey

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Earl Grey Earl Grey is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. I'll give it a try.

Earl Grey

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Sounds like Normal.dot is not being saved. As a temporary fix, you can use
Shift+File | Save All to ensure that it gets saved, but you need to figure
out why it's not being saved. It you are running Adobe Acrobat 7, see the
last section of http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Why can't I get Multiple instances of word? Laverne Microsoft Word Help 14 November 17th 06 01:35 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Word 2002 and Word 2003 trading default file association Enochscion Microsoft Word Help 2 May 27th 05 10:19 PM