EGerbil

Default Cannot create new documents in Word or edit existing documents.

I have a friend who has been experiencing some problems with her version of
Word. Apparently, it will let her open existing Word documents with no
trouble, but it will not let her edit those documents or type new documents.
She tells me that the documents aren't set to "Read Only", which was the
first thing I asked her to check.

It seems that the problem has occurred on two separate computers, and the
only thing shared between the two has been a memory stick. The problem
"resolved itself" on one computer, but the other has not.

She is using Windows XP and the latest version of Word.

From the available information, both she and I speculate that the problem
may be caused by a virus. Is this possible, and are there any known viruses
with these symptoms?

If not, is anyone familiar with this problem, and can offer a solution?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

-EG
Jezebel

Yes there are viruses with these sorts of symptoms. Which is also consistent
with the problem following your friend -- presumably she tried opening the
same documents on both machines.

"EGerbil" wrote in message
I have a friend who has been experiencing some problems with her version of
Word. Apparently, it will let her open existing Word documents with no
trouble, but it will not let her edit those documents or type new
documents.
She tells me that the documents aren't set to "Read Only", which was the
first thing I asked her to check.

It seems that the problem has occurred on two separate computers, and the
only thing shared between the two has been a memory stick. The problem
"resolved itself" on one computer, but the other has not.

She is using Windows XP and the latest version of Word.

From the available information, both she and I speculate that the problem
may be caused by a virus. Is this possible, and are there any known
viruses
with these symptoms?

If not, is anyone familiar with this problem, and can offer a solution?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

-EG

The usual problem in this situation (new computer) is that she has either
failed to activate Word/Office and has used up her 50 free uses or that
Office was a trial version (very common on new computers these days) and has
expired. In the first case, she needs to use Help | Activate Product. In the
latter, she will have to pay for Office if she wants to continue using it;
see €śHow to convert a Office 2003 Trial Edition to a Full Retail Edition€ť
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831023

"EGerbil" wrote in message
I have a friend who has been experiencing some problems with her version

of
Word. Apparently, it will let her open existing Word documents with no
trouble, but it will not let her edit those documents or type new

documents.
She tells me that the documents aren't set to "Read Only", which was the
first thing I asked her to check.

It seems that the problem has occurred on two separate computers, and the
only thing shared between the two has been a memory stick. The problem
"resolved itself" on one computer, but the other has not.

She is using Windows XP and the latest version of Word.

From the available information, both she and I speculate that the problem
may be caused by a virus. Is this possible, and are there any known

viruses
with these symptoms?

If not, is anyone familiar with this problem, and can offer a solution?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

-EG

Jezebel

why not have a look?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The usual problem in this situation (new computer) is that she has either
failed to activate Word/Office and has used up her 50 free uses or that
Office was a trial version (very common on new computers these days) and
has
expired. In the first case, she needs to use Help | Activate Product. In
the
latter, she will have to pay for Office if she wants to continue using
it;
see "How to convert a Office 2003 Trial Edition to a Full Retail Edition"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831023

so
all may benefit.

"EGerbil" wrote in message
I have a friend who has been experiencing some problems with her
version

of
Word. Apparently, it will let her open existing Word documents with no
trouble, but it will not let her edit those documents or type new

documents.
She tells me that the documents aren't set to "Read Only", which was
the
first thing I asked her to check.

It seems that the problem has occurred on two separate computers, and
the
only thing shared between the two has been a memory stick. The problem
"resolved itself" on one computer, but the other has not.

She is using Windows XP and the latest version of Word.

From the available information, both she and I speculate that the
problem
may be caused by a virus. Is this possible, and are there any known

viruses
with these symptoms?

If not, is anyone familiar with this problem, and can offer a solution?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this.

-EG

If you choose Help | Activate Product, you'll get either a dialog guiding
you through the activation process or (I believe) details on how to upgrade
the trial to a retail version.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The usual problem in this situation (new computer) is that she has

either
failed to activate Word/Office and has used up her 50 free uses or that
Office was a trial version (very common on new computers these days) and

has
expired. In the first case, she needs to use Help | Activate Product. In

the
latter, she will have to pay for Office if she wants to continue using

it;
see €śHow to convert a Office 2003 Trial Edition to a Full Retail

Edition€ť
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831023

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"EGerbil" wrote in message
I have a friend who has been experiencing some problems with her

version
of
Word. Apparently, it will let her open existing Word documents with no
trouble, but it will not let her edit those documents or type new

documents.
She tells me that the documents aren't set to "Read Only", which was

the
first thing I asked her to check.

It seems that the problem has occurred on two separate computers, and

the
only thing shared between the two has been a memory stick. The problem
"resolved itself" on one computer, but the other has not.

She is using Windows XP and the latest version of Word.

From the available information, both she and I speculate that the

problem

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
creating forms Fluffypink Microsoft Word Help 4 March 9th 05 05:17 PM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM