Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jen_writer jen_writer is offline

Default losing formating when open doc

Hello,
I use format styles for all of my formatting. I created a table style and
several body/heading styles. Occasionally, I will save and close a document,
and then when I open it up the next day, all of the tables have lost their
formatting and/or taken on random format styles. I have to go through and
manually reapply the table style to every table in the document. Although it
mostly affects tables, other styles also go haywire - e.g., a body style will
suddenly appear as a heading. I basically have to go through and reformat the
entire document, which takes a lot of time.

Why is this happening and how can I stop it?! I did notice that on the most
recent file it happened with, someone else had worked on the same file. Does
that mean that if you are using styles, no one else can work on that
document? That would create a huge problem, since I've created numerous
templates using the styles....

thanks
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In the Templates and Add-Ins dialog box, is the "Automatically update
document styles" option checked? If so, clear it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jen_writer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that if users apply direct formatting, you can get rid of it by
selecting the text and pressing Ctrl+Q (clears paragraph formatting not in
style) as well as Ctrl+SpaceBar (clears font formatting not in style).

Or are you saying that the problem is with table styles only?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"jen_writer" wrote in message
no, the box is not checked.

thanks
Jen

"jen_writer" wrote:

[...]

Paste word document without losing formating mistyandseagramdad Microsoft Word Help 2 July 26th 07 06:23 AM
Losing Format KenG Page Layout 1 May 9th 07 07:28 AM
Need to remove last section break w/o losing all prior formating. Robin Page Layout 3 April 5th 07 11:21 PM
Losing Formatting Jan Microsoft Word Help 2 February 5th 06 08:48 PM
Formating Text changes formating of entire document Ritesh Kumar Microsoft Word Help 1 July 6th 05 11:55 PM