Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AdvantageLink AdvantageLink is offline

Default How change from "read only" so I can save Word files normally?

For some reason, Word2000 no longer saves a file in format. I get a message
after I save it to "My Documents" and reopen it later saying, "Do you want to
revert to the saved version?" If I say "no" I can change it and resave it in
format. If I say "yes" then I lose all formatting and the file lists every
macro and form in the file. Then I cannot get in back into format, a message
says cannot undo. Some docs say "cannot save. This is a 'read only'
document." Also, when I try to save an existing doc, I used to get a message
that says, "This document already exists, do you want to overwrite it?" But
now I never get that message on saving existing docs in the same folder. How
do I eliminate "read only" and save in a normal fashion? What did I do to
mess the settings up?
Bob Clayton
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Bob,

For some reason, Word2000 no longer saves a file in format. I get a message
after I save it to "My Documents" and reopen it later saying, "Do you want to
revert to the saved version?" If I say "no" I can change it and resave it in
format. If I say "yes" then I lose all formatting and the file lists every
macro and form in the file. Then I cannot get in back into format, a message
says cannot undo. Some docs say "cannot save. This is a 'read only'
document." Also, when I try to save an existing doc, I used to get a message
that says, "This document already exists, do you want to overwrite it?" But
now I never get that message on saving existing docs in the same folder. How
do I eliminate "read only" and save in a normal fashion? What did I do to
mess the settings up?

Assuming there isn't an Add-in (or virus) that's causing the problem, I can
think of two things that might cause this. Either the Winword.exe has been
damaged, or Normal.dot (the default template from which all new documents are
created) has been damaged.

In the first case, running a Repair (through Control Panel/Add-Remove programs)
would fix the problem.

In the second, renaming Normal.dot to (for example) Normal.dot.old, the starting
Word would result in Word creating a new Normal.dot - and the problem would be
solved.

Does either of these help matters?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland