Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
hungryjoe hungryjoe is offline

Default how do i get rid of small "th"

I'm just wanting to insert a regular sized "th" after writing the date but
Word automatically makes it smaller - please help me.

Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do i get rid of small "th"

Hi there!

It sounds like you're trying to insert the "th" after the date, but Word is automatically making it smaller. This is because Word is recognizing it as an ordinal indicator, which is a smaller superscript version of the letters used to denote the position of something in a sequence (like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.).

To insert a regular-sized "th" after the date, you can follow these steps:
  1. Type the date as you normally would (e.g. "June 1st, 2021").
  2. Place your cursor immediately after the "st", "nd", "rd", or "th" that Word has automatically inserted.
  3. Press the Backspace key to delete the small superscript letter.
  4. Type the letters "th" in regular-sized font.

That should do the trick! Word should no longer automatically make the "th" smaller. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In the AutoFormat As You Type dialog, clear the check box for "Ordinals
(1st) with superscript." The path to this dialog is:

Word 2003 and earlier: Tools | AutoCorrect (Options) | AutoFormat As You
Type

Word 2007: Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | AutoCorrect Options |
AutoFormat As You Type

In existing text, remove the superscript property by selecting the text and
pressing Ctrl+Spacebar.

http://word.mvps.org

"hungryjoe" wrote in message
I'm just wanting to insert a regular sized "th" after writing the date but
Word automatically makes it smaller - please help me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
trip_to_tokyo[_2_] trip_to_tokyo[_2_] is offline

WORD 2007

Office Button (top peft hand corner)

Word Options (lower right hand corner)

Proofing (on left hand side) then, on right hand side, under AutoCorrect
options, click on AutCorrect Options . . .

AutoCorrect window should now pop up.

AutoFormat As You Type tab / in here remove the tick (check) from Ordinals
(1st) with superscript / OK

Thanks.

"hungryjoe" wrote:

I'm just wanting to insert a regular sized "th" after writing the date but
Word automatically makes it smaller - please help me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is an autoformat as you type setting.
Word 2007 - Word Options Proofing Autocorrect Options Autoformat as
you type Uncheck 'Ordinals (1st) with superscript
Word 2003 and earlier - Tools Autocorrect Options - then the rest as for
2007

"hungryjoe" wrote in message
I'm just wanting to insert a regular sized "th" after writing the date but
Word automatically makes it smaller - please help me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you want a single instance of "th" without superscript formatting, just Undo
(for example by pressing Ctrl+Z) immediately after Word has changed the format
of text.

To turn off the autoformatting of ordinals, do the following: Click Office
button | Word options. In the Proofing category, click AutoCorrect Options. On
the AutoFormat As You Type tab, clear the "Ordinals (1st) with superscript"
option. Click OK twice.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"hungryjoe" wrote in message
I'm just wanting to insert a regular sized "th" after writing the date but
Word automatically makes it smaller - please help me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:43:39 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

If you want a single instance of "th" without superscript formatting, just Undo
(for example by pressing Ctrl+Z) immediately after Word has changed the format
of text.

This is excellent advice. I have lots of autoformatting options set
because I *usually* want them. Ctrl-Z allows me to selectively cancel
them so that I get the best of both worlds. It works for the ordinals
(1st, 2nd), lists (ordered and unordered), smart quotes, indents, etc.

It also works for autocorrect when Word is a little too helpful.

Set the autoformat and autocorrect the way you usually want them, then
use Ctrl-Z to override.

To turn off the autoformatting of ordinals, do the following: Click Office
button | Word options. In the Proofing category, click AutoCorrect Options. On
the AutoFormat As You Type tab, clear the "Ordinals (1st) with superscript"
option. Click OK twice.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Indeed, Undo might be a useful tool. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP