AH

Default Finding words near other words

Is there a way to find instances of words near other words, or to do
Boolean-style searches, within a Word document?

For example, I want to find all instances of the word "hello" within 2 words
of "world". So, I would find "hello world", "hello happy world", "hello and
goodbye world."

I tried typing in Hello * World in the Find What... box, but that didn't work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Klaus Linke

There isn't a built-in text retrieval/query language. I wrote to
asking to add such a feature to Word (including, say,
"NEAR", Boolean operators such as "AND", "OR", "NOT"/"EXCEPT", and the
already existing "Sounds like" and "Match all word forms").

There seem to be only very expensive corporate solutions for this kind of
search like
http://www.isysusa.com/downloads/whi...whitepaper.pdf

At least, I haven't seen a cheap or free add-in for this kind of query.

Regards,
Klaus

Is there a way to find instances of words near other words, or to do
Boolean-style searches, within a Word document?

For example, I want to find all instances of the word "hello" within 2

words
of "world". So, I would find "hello world", "hello happy world", "hello

and
goodbye world."

I tried typing in Hello * World in the Find What... box, but that didn't

work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Jezebel

Some of the regular expression gurus might have better suggestions, but you
can use --

Hello[!^013]*world

to find all instances of "Hello ... world" within one paragraph. You need
'Use wildcards' checked, and the test is case sensitive.

"AH" wrote in message
Is there a way to find instances of words near other words, or to do
Boolean-style searches, within a Word document?

For example, I want to find all instances of the word "hello" within 2

words
of "world". So, I would find "hello world", "hello happy world", "hello

and
goodbye world."

I tried typing in Hello * World in the Find What... box, but that didn't

work.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Klaus Linke

"Jezebel" wrote:
Some of the regular expression gurus might have better suggestions, but

you
can use --

Hello[!^013]*world

to find all instances of "Hello ... world" within one paragraph. You need
'Use wildcards' checked, and the test is case sensitive.

Find what: Hello[!^13]@world
would work as advertised...
The * wildcard matches anything, so the match wouldn't be restricted to a
paragraph.

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

Hello[!^013]*world

Klaus, try it!

I did ;-)

Klaus

Hello, how are you?

this fear of being what they a
dead.

at least they are not out on the street, they
are careful to stay indoors, those
pasty mad who sit alone before their tv sets,
their lives full of canned, mutilated laughter.

their ideal neighborhood
of parked cars
of little green lawns
of little homes
the little doors that open and close
as their relatives visit
throughout the holidays
the doors closing
behind the dying who die so slowly
behind the dead who are still alive
in your quiet average world
of winding streets
of agony
of confusion
of horror
of fear
of ignorance.

a dog standing behind a fence.

a man silent at the window.

Charles Bukowski (with small changes)

(you probably have to replace line breaks ^l with paragraph marks ^p first)

Word Count mel Microsoft Word Help 2 December 14th 04 11:17 PM
red words underlined gfe Microsoft Word Help 2 December 11th 04 09:09 PM
words after numbers are not corrected Carlos Gagliardi Microsoft Word Help 1 December 11th 04 12:53 AM
I've created a Word document in which words are broken at any poi. EricC Microsoft Word Help 2 December 4th 04 04:23 AM
Frequency count in Word mmm Microsoft Word Help 1 November 28th 04 01:44 PM