Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Default what gray line means

I have recently been noticing a gray line (non printing) that appears across
the full column width in some W97 documents. I cannot get find a way to
delete it either.

Recently, what is really odd is that it was appearing between 2 paragraphs.
When I pressed delete at the end of the 1st paragraph, directly after the
period that ends the last sentence, the gray line moved up to be directly
below this paragraph (as though some 'space above' had disappeared when I
deleted) AND the paragraph symbol in this paragraph disappeared, as though
the gray line was now a part of the paragraph, while still occupying its own
line.

Any ideas on what the significance of this line is, where it came from, and
how to get it to go away?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...tRidOfLine.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Thanks Jay...but this did not work. I have other weird things going on too.

The gray line appears under what looks like a single paragraph consisting of
2 sentences. However, when I triple click to select the whole paragraph, I
only get the 1st sentence. When I triple click the 2nd sentence, I also
select only it. I selected both sentences and reapplied the style, with no
change. These sentences are acting like paragraphs. There are 2 spaces
between the 1st and 2nd sentence; I cannot delete one of these ( I posted on
this separately). I am now wondering if there is some connection to this
other deletion issue I posted on and this gray line I cannot get to go away.

The Twilight Zone is baaaack.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Did you check the space before and after your paragraphs and set them to zero?
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

The style involved has 6 pt below defined. I changed to 0 and gray line
still there. I am entering Ctrl + Q while selected wiht no success. I also
applied normal style (which is set to 0 above/below); no change.

Any other places I can look?

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A gray line of this sort can mean a number of things:

If it's at the bottom of a page or column in Print Layout view, it means,
"This paragraph has some Space After that's being suppressed to make it fit
on this page/in this column."

If it's at the bottom of a table cell or text box, it means, "This text box
or table cell is set to an exact height that is too small for the amount of
text it contains, and so some of it is not displayed."

If you're in Outline view, it means, "There is text below this heading that
is currently not being displayed because the outline is collapsed."

Note that in all the above instances, the line means that something is not
being displayed.

The fourth instance I can think of (and it's very disconcerting to me) is
that when you insert a text box, picture, AutoShape, or the like and wrap
text around it, there will be lines in the wrapped text indicating the
location of the graphic.

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cayce cayce is offline

Sorry for the delay but I have been able to solve this mystery. It related to
track changes having been turned on then off in the document. The pending
accept/reject tracked changes were not allowing me to see any change. Track
changes is a mode I am very ignorant about and never worked in until
recently. I'm better prepared to handle this in the future.

Thanks for all the helpful possibilities. I've saved this posting too in
case I run across other weirdness.

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah, Track Changes is another fertile source of such mysteries.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.