Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
totoandme

Default problem with highlighting

I need help with highlighting. When I click in the exisiting Table of
Contents to update it, it highlights the Table of Contents plus the first 3
chapters of my document. Then when I click OK to update, it deletes the TOC
(which I expect) and my first three chapters (which doesn't make me happy).
HELP!!! I have tried turning highlighting off and it doesn't work. I have to
get this 261 page document out by tomorrow. This just started happening.

I'm using Word 2003 SP2 with Windows XP.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You have somehow managed to get the first three chapters of your document
inside the TOC field. Press Alt+F9 to display the TOC field code. Select the
text of your first three chapters and cut and paste it outside the field.

"totoandme" wrote in message
I need help with highlighting. When I click in the exisiting Table of
Contents to update it, it highlights the Table of Contents plus the first

3
chapters of my document. Then when I click OK to update, it deletes the

TOC
(which I expect) and my first three chapters (which doesn't make me

happy).
HELP!!! I have tried turning highlighting off and it doesn't work. I have

get this 261 page document out by tomorrow. This just started happening.

I'm using Word 2003 SP2 with Windows XP.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad that worked. I've never gotten quite that much inside a TOC field, but
it's very easy to get *something* inside it (a page or section break, for
example). For this reason I am always careful to insert an empty paragraph
after the TOC and insert any text or page/section break after that
paragraph.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You have somehow managed to get the first three chapters of your

document
inside the TOC field. Press Alt+F9 to display the TOC field code. Select

the
text of your first three chapters and cut and paste it outside the

field.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"totoandme" wrote in message
I need help with highlighting. When I click in the exisiting Table of
Contents to update it, it highlights the Table of Contents plus the

first
3
chapters of my document. Then when I click OK to update, it deletes

the
TOC
(which I expect) and my first three chapters (which doesn't make me

happy).
HELP!!! I have tried turning highlighting off and it doesn't work. I

have
get this 261 page document out by tomorrow. This just started

happening.

I'm using Word 2003 SP2 with Windows XP.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Subsynthetic Subsynthetic is offline

I have something like that going on but I can't seem to fix it. When I update
the TOC (F9) I lose any page or section breaks between the TOC and my first
section. This messes up my headers, footers, and page numbering for the
entire doc.

I looked at the TOC field code like you suggested and found the weirdest
thing. The TOC field code ending bracket is between the number and name of
the first heading of my doc, like this: 1.0 }Introduction

I tried to create a new "1.0 Introduction" and delete the old one but as
soon as I apply the heading style to the new one I get the same problem.

I hope I'm making sense. This is so frustrating.

Laura

"totoandme" wrote in message
I need help with highlighting. When I click in the exisiting Table of
Contents to update it, it highlights the Table of Contents plus the

first
3
chapters of my document. Then when I click OK to update, it deletes

the
TOC
(which I expect) and my first three chapters (which doesn't make me
happy).
HELP!!! I have tried turning highlighting off and it doesn't work. I

have
get this 261 page document out by tomorrow. This just started

happening.

I'm using Word 2003 SP2 with Windows XP.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is usually advisable to press Enter at least a couple of times before
inserting a TOC. A TOC has a wonderful ability to absorb paragraph breaks,
page breaks, even page breaks. Once they get inside the TOC field, all hell
breaks loose, so make sure you isolate/insulate the TOC with at least one
empty paragraph. This is one of the defensible uses of empty paragraphs
because TOC fields seem to be like the tractor beam in the DeathStar!