Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Danny Oz Danny Oz is offline

Default How do I stop Word 2003 from shutting down?

I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down. It will
shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook with no
comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i closed a
document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the case - it just
closes the program every now and again. Has anyone got any suggestions on
how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VVS VVS is offline

I have the same problem. Did you find the answer at the suggested website?
If so, please let me know so that I can fix it, too.
--
VVS

Danny Oz wrote:
I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down.
It will shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook
with no comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i
closed a document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the
case - it just closes the program every now and again. Has anyone
got any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VVS VVS is offline

It's not that it shuts down, it just closes and you have to go back to the
icon or the program list to open it. Isn't that what you mean?
--
VVS

"Danny Oz" wrote:

I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down. It will
shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook with no
comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i closed a
document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the case - it just
closes the program every now and again. Has anyone got any suggestions on
how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Danny Oz[_2_] Danny Oz[_2_] is offline

Hi Graham,

It's not that it keeps crashing but rather it just closes down. I've tried
someone elses recommendation of going to Tools/Options/ and unclicking
windows in taskbar. This resolves the problem however it means that when I
alt-tab to look between documents it will only have one window for word.
This means that I cant go from document to document which is not what i want.
Do you have any other suggestions?

Danny Oz wrote:
I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down.
It will shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook
with no comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i
closed a document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the
case - it just closes the program every now and again. Has anyone
got any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VVS VVS is offline

To: Graham & Danny
Okay. I closed all those files Graham mentioned in the Current documents
file. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.
--
VVS

"Danny Oz" wrote:

I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down. It will
shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook with no
comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i closed a
document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the case - it just
closes the program every now and again. Has anyone got any suggestions on
how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Danny Oz[_2_] Danny Oz[_2_] is offline

Hi Graham,

I see what you're saying but the difference is that the system isn't
freezing with me needing to hold down ctrl-alt-del to get the taskbar up and
close the program. It just closes.

Danny Oz wrote:
I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down.
It will shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook
with no comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i
closed a document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the
case - it just closes the program every now and again. Has anyone
got any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VVS VVS is offline

Has anyone given an explanation that either explains this problem or solves
it? To repeat: Word "closes" when I go into Outlook to view a message and
then minimize Outlook. Word doesn't even appear on the task/status bar at
the bottom when I minimize Outlook. I'd really like to know how to stop this.
--
VVS

To: Graham & Danny

"Danny Oz" wrote:

I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down. It will
shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook with no
comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i closed a
document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the case - it just
closes the program every now and again. Has anyone got any suggestions on
how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See "WD: Word Quits Unexpectedly When Selecting a Document from the Windows
Taskbar"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555169

To: Graham & Danny

"Danny Oz" wrote:

I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down. It
will
shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook with no
comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i closed a
document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the case - it
just
closes the program every now and again. Has anyone got any suggestions
on
how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
VVS VVS is offline

I think I found one answer. Open Outlook. Go to "Tools" and click on
"Options." Then click "Mail Format" tab. Clear the "Use Microsoft Work to
edit e-mail messages" box.
--
VVS

"Danny Oz" wrote:

I've just noticed a problem that my Word 2003 keeps shutting down. It will
shut down when I am using another program such as Outlook with no
comment/explanation. I thought that I was closing it when i closed a
document but i've been checking and it definitely isn't the case - it just
closes the program every now and again. Has anyone got any suggestions on
how to fix this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter S. Peter S. is offline

Graham

I had a similar problem with Word 2002 which was overcome after installing
Office 2003.

Today the automatic update (which shows as having added KB951376-v2 to the
Windows path) seems to have triggered the same unexpected closing of Word
2003 as before.

I followed VVS's advice and unchecked the default Word in Outlook's Mail
Format screen and then closed Outlook which I usually leave open.

This has not fixed the problem and Word still closes during data entry in a
document.

Any suggestions?