Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
srdiamond

Default How can Word recognize two consecutive tables as separate?

I created a table of contents, inserted a page break (also tried a section
break) and then created a table of authorities. When I select the table of
authorities and then press F9 to update it, my table of contents is updated
as well. That would not be bad, but this also has the effect of eliminating
my table of authorities. Word seems to substitute the revised table of
contents for the old table, which it takes to include both the table of
contents and the table of authorities.

What is the correct procedure for a) creating; and b) updating two
consecutive table, so that they update separately or at least so that on an
update, one table doesn't get deleted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
srdiamond

I had thought that since the advent of styles, empty paragraphs had been
banished from proper Word usage.

"srdiamond" wrote in message
I created a table of contents, inserted a page break (also tried a section
break) and then created a table of authorities. When I select the table of
authorities and then press F9 to update it, my table of contents is

updated
as well. That would not be bad, but this also has the effect of

eliminating
my table of authorities. Word seems to substitute the revised table of
contents for the old table, which it takes to include both the table of
contents and the table of authorities.

What is the correct procedure for a) creating; and b) updating two
consecutive table, so that they update separately or at least so that on

an
update, one table doesn't get deleted.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

This is one of the few places where it's prudent to include one--and do it
*before* you insert the TOC, or at least with the field code displayed;
otherwise it is almost certain to get inside the TOC field, where it will be
deleted when you update the TOC.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure you have an empty paragraph between the tables (in addition to

any
page breaks, section breaks, etc.).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.