Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daryl Bursch Daryl Bursch is offline

Default My spell check for Word documents is not working at all?

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and says "spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can that be?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

First confirm that on Tools, Options, Spelling and Grammar that both boxes for
"Check Spelling/Grammar as you type" are checked.
Then check that the text you are typing is not in a style that has "Do not
check spelling or grammar" checked on the Language dialog box. If it is
change the style appropriately.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Daryl Bursch" wrote:

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and says "spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can that be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daryl Bursch[_2_] Daryl Bursch[_2_] is offline

Dean I already tried to find the Tools, Options but I cannot even find that
choice on the new Office 2007 Word that was just installed. I wish they
would not change the program so much I don't recognize anything. I had 2003
and this is totally different? Can you tell me where to find Tools? When I
bring up a Word document all I get on the top as choices are... Home, Insert,
Page layout, References, Mailings, Review and View. So where do I find
"Tools"?

"Daryl Bursch" wrote:

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and says "spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can that be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc Luc is offline

Daryl,
You can find the options using Office-button - Word options - review
category (third from the top - you will find the options there. As to the
style DeanH mentioned, on the start ribbon, in the styles group, click on
the dialogue starter button (bottom right corner of the group, it is very
tiny, you can miss it easily). The style you are using on the paragraph your
cursor is in will be surrounded with a blue box, click on the list arrow,
choose change. Click on the format button, choose language, in the dialogue
you will see a checkbox where you can disable the spelling of text.

--
Luc Sanders
MVP - PowerPoint

"Daryl Bursch" wrote:

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not
finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and says
"spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can
that be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Always helps if you say up front what version of Word you're asking
about. That way the helpers here won't have to guess. In Word 2007:
1. Open a document that has this problem, press Ctrl+A to select all
of the text
2. Click on Review tab | Proofing: Set Language | choose your
language | uncheck the "Detect language automatically" and "Do not
check spelling or grammar" boxes | Default | OK.
3. Click on Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | check the
"Check spelling as you type" and "Check grammar with spelling" boxes |
uncheck the "Hide spelling errors in this document only" and "Hide
grammar errors in this document only" boxes | OK.
4. Press F7 to rerun spelling and grammar checks, and save the document.

In some cases in an upgrade installation to Office 2007 from Office
2003, the spellcheck files do not get installed. Look in your
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Proof" folder to see
whether the MSSP3EN.LEX and MSSP3ENA.LEX files are present. If not,
then reinstall the English proofing tools feature from your Office 2007
CD.

"Daryl Bursch" wrote:

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and says "spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can that be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daryl Bursch[_2_] Daryl Bursch[_2_] is offline

I go to start menu, then I bring up the control panel but there is no icon or
choice that is called "add remove programs"?

"Daryl Bursch" wrote:

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and says "spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can that be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

You must have Vista then (as already said, it helps to know what versions of
software you are using). Try Programs and Features instead.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Daryl Bursch" wrote:

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not
finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and
says "spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can
that be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kjunghans kjunghans is offline

I have the same problem in Office 2007 where the spell checker does not work
and the files MSSP3EN.LEX and MSSP3ENA.LEX are not installed. I have Vista
and I went to Progams and Features. I tried Repair on Office 2007 and it did
not work. I tried Change and found that all of the Proofing Tools were
installed. So I removed them and then added them back again. But still the
files are not installed. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
--
Kevin Junghans

"Daryl Bursch" wrote:

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not
finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and
says "spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can
that be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kristen Kristen is offline

I'm using Vista and my program is Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007. Spell
check is not working at all in that when I go to check spell that I know is
incorrect it comes up to say spell check complete without correcting the
mistakes. In office there is only a check box for grammar but none for
spelling. The files detailed are missing however I have tried to reinstall
them from the disk and it is coming up with Error 1713. Setup cannot install
one of the required products for Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Kristen Kristen is offline

I have repeated the process again for French and Spanish proofing tools (this
are the other two languages that came with my disk) and then misspelt common
French and Spanish and the dictionary is working for these languages. It
appears with the error 1713 message- English proofing tools are not been
installed at all. What would you suggestions be to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
kjunghans kjunghans is offline

I found the solution to my problem in another thread. The solution was to
delete or rename a registry key.

Rename the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing
Tools\1.0" to zz1.0.
If all is good, go back and delete zz1.0.

--
Kevin Junghans

"Daryl Bursch" wrote:

When I miss spell a word on purpose I noticed spell check is not
finding it.
I click spell check and it does just like my 2003 version did and
says "spell
check complete" but it did not find the miss spelled word? how can
that be?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
pensio pensio is offline

You can delete the registry key without renaming. It will automatically
recreate for you.
--
Thank you,
Pensio