Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Heidi

Default Changing color of selected text

When you select text, by default it becomes white with a black background.
Is there somewhere in either Windows or Word to change it to a color? I
don't mean a permanent change in the document, I mean just changing the font
whenever you select a word or paragraph (for example, if you were going to
format it ).

On my Mac, I can set the highlight color to, for example, bright orange.
This helps a lot because when you do find/replace, you can see the
highlighted text much quicker.

Thanks!
Heidi
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Heidi wrote:
When you select text, by default it becomes white with a black
background. Is there somewhere in either Windows or Word to change it
to a color? I don't mean a permanent change in the document, I mean
just changing the font whenever you select a word or paragraph (for
example, if you were going to format it ).

On my Mac, I can set the highlight color to, for example, bright
orange. This helps a lot because when you do find/replace, you can
see the highlighted text much quicker.

Thanks!
Heidi

Hi Heidi,

In Windows, the selection background color is the complement of the normal
background of the selected text. For example, if you go to Format Borders
& Shading Shading and set the background color for a paragraph to yellow,
then any text you select in that paragraph will show a blue background. If
the background shading of the paragraph is green, then selected text in that
paragraph will show a magenta background.

The selected text itself is shown in the complement of the text's foreground
color. That is, if the text of the paragraph is magenta, then the selected
text will be green, independent of whatever the background color is.

Of course, both background shading and foreground text color can be set
character by character, not just by paragraph or document.

You can get some really awful combinations this way. :-b

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Heidi

Thanks I figured out selected text was the complement, but thought there
might be an option somewhere to change that. Oh well

Thank you for your help!

Heidi