Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] hedman@berkeley.edu is offline

Default formatting styles for textboxes word 2007

Hi, is there a way to format textboxes in word 2007 using formatting
styles? I want to be able to change the apperance of textboxes in the
same way that you can change the appearnce of headings using styles.

Thank you.

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

is there a way to format textboxes in word 2007 using formatting
styles? I want to be able to change the apperance of textboxes in the
same way that you can change the appearnce of headings using styles.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything to link the general category of
"text boxes" with a particular style.

You could create an AutoText entry that's pre-formatted, and insert it
whenever you need a new text box.

Or you could use a macro to insert a box and set the formatting.

If you can use a Frame instead of a TextBox, you can create a style
that includes the Frame definition.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Sure! However this isn't accomplished using styles, it's accomplished
using document themes which I think is one the coolest features of
Word 2007. A document theme is like a style for your entire document -
not only can themes change the appearance but the entire document.
From fonts, colors, to graphic elements.

For more on Document Themes and an example of how you can change the
look of your text boxes by using a different document theme, take a
look at this article:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...es_melton.mspx

If you need to insert several text boxes that are similar then create
one text box and format it to your liking. If you are using color, be
sure to use the Theme colors or your text boxes will not change when
another document theme is used. The same is true for fonts identified
as (Body) and (Heading). Then, select the text box and on the Insert
tab, open the Quick Parts gallery and select "Save Selection to Quick
Parts Gallery".

Then, in the "Create New Building Block" dialog box, if you want your
text box to appear when you use the Text Box gallery on the Insert
tab, from the Galleries select "Text Boxes" and assign it to an
existing Category or create a new one. What I have done for Quick
Parts I add to a gallery is create a custom category, such as A-Text
Boxes. Since they are sorted alphabetically mine will appear at the
top.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, is there a way to format textboxes in word 2007 using formatting
styles? I want to be able to change the apperance of textboxes in
the
same way that you can change the appearnce of headings using styles.

Thank you.

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy andy is offline

Cindy,

Thank you.

AutoText is no more in word 2007.

If I used a macro, I don't see how that wold allow me to globally
reformat textboxes.

Where do I find frames in word 2007?

Cheers
Andy

Cindy M. wrote:
is there a way to format textboxes in word 2007 using formatting
styles? I want to be able to change the apperance of textboxes in the
same way that you can change the appearnce of headings using styles.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything to link the general category of
"text boxes" with a particular style.

You could create an AutoText entry that's pre-formatted, and insert it
whenever you need a new text box.

Or you could use a macro to insert a box and set the formatting.

If you can use a Frame instead of a TextBox, you can create a style
that includes the Frame definition.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy andy is offline

Beth,

Thank you.

I liked the idea of themes and have followed your instructions.

I created a QuickParts text box and named "AA Wide Vertical". It is
easy to change its colors now using themes.

Is there also a way that I could modify the shape of "AA Wide Vertical"
later on and have it reflected in all inserted instances? (suppose I
want it to have a thicker border or something like that)

Cheers
Andy

Beth Melton wrote:
Sure! However this isn't accomplished using styles, it's accomplished
using document themes which I think is one the coolest features of
Word 2007. A document theme is like a style for your entire document -
not only can themes change the appearance but the entire document.
From fonts, colors, to graphic elements.

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, is there a way to format textboxes in word 2007 using formatting
styles? I want to be able to change the apperance of textboxes in
the
same way that you can change the appearnce of headings using styles.

Thank you.

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy andy is offline

Cindy, sorry autotext is still there, I am just not sure how I could
use it with styles and textboxes.

Cindy M. wrote:
is there a way to format textboxes in word 2007 using formatting
styles? I want to be able to change the apperance of textboxes in the
same way that you can change the appearnce of headings using styles.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything to link the general category of
"text boxes" with a particular style.

You could create an AutoText entry that's pre-formatted, and insert it
whenever you need a new text box.

Or you could use a macro to insert a box and set the formatting.

If you can use a Frame instead of a TextBox, you can create a style
that includes the Frame definition.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You can't change the shape or border for a text box using a document
theme, BUT you may want to check out SmartArt (on the Insert tab)
instead of using a text box. SmartArt follows Theme Effects which are
comprised of line style, fill, shadow and 3-D effects.

I've been experimenting with using it instead of text boxes since they
do follow the document theme and you can select another set of Theme
Effects without changing the document theme so you might try that
instead. Plus some of the effects are *very* cool.

What you can do is insert the first SmartArt graphic in the Gallery
(bending list) and delete all of the boxes except for one. The easiest
way to do this is to delete all of the text placeholders in the pane
that opens on the left. Then for formatting, use the Shape Styles if
you want to take advantage of all of the Theme Effects. Also, text
wrapping can be found on the Format contextual tab for SmartArt under
the Arrange drop down.

See what you think and, of course, you can create a Quick Parts for
SmartArt too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

oups.com...

Beth Melton wrote:
Sure! However this isn't accomplished using styles, it's
accomplished
using document themes which I think is one the coolest features of
Word 2007. A document theme is like a style for your entire
document -
not only can themes change the appearance but the entire document.
From fonts, colors, to graphic elements.

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, is there a way to format textboxes in word 2007 using
formatting
styles? I want to be able to change the apperance of textboxes in
the
same way that you can change the appearnce of headings using
styles.

Thank you.

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
andy andy is offline

I tried this, but it is a bit slow on my computer (P4 Mobile 1.7 Hgz,
2GB RAM).
(I have a lot of text boxes also)

Nice effects though!

Beth Melton wrote:
Sure! However this isn't accomplished using styles, it's
accomplished
using document themes which I think is one the coolest features of
Word 2007. A document theme is like a style for your entire
document -
not only can themes change the appearance but the entire document.
From fonts, colors, to graphic elements.

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, is there a way to format textboxes in word 2007 using
formatting
styles? I want to be able to change the apperance of textboxes in
the
same way that you can change the appearnce of headings using
styles.

Thank you.

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

There is an AutoText Gallery you can use for Quick Parts but in
general, Quick Parts is the replacement for AutoText which essentially
functions the same as AutoText did in previous versions.

I suspect they renamed it because many users thought it was limited to
text only entries when actually, AutoText could be used to store
graphics, tables, text boxes, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
You would create a text box formatted as desired, including an
empty
paragraph in the desired style, and save the text box as an
AutoText entry.

oups.com...