Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pam Coleman

Default page numbers in mail merge

I have a list of employees and a form created. I fill in the blanks with the
employee information and then do a mail merge to create a new document that
creates the form and fills in all the names. It has 134 pages. When I
create a footer and click on the number button it puts a 1, and then I type
of and click on the total pages button and it puts 134. The problem is it
puts 1 of 134 on every page. The mail merge puts a section break between
every page. I have tried finding a section break and replacing with manual
page break, but it still does not change the 1 of 134. What is wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Anne Troy

After replacing the section breaks, did you print preview or print or
otherwise update the fields?
See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/u...osoft_word.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Pam Coleman" wrote in message
I have a list of employees and a form created. I fill in the blanks with
the
employee information and then do a mail merge to create a new document
that
creates the form and fills in all the names. It has 134 pages. When I
create a footer and click on the number button it puts a 1, and then I
type
of and click on the total pages button and it puts 134. The problem is it
puts 1 of 134 on every page. The mail merge puts a section break between
every page. I have tried finding a section break and replacing with
manual
page break, but it still does not change the 1 of 134. What is wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

Couple things to check, if updating fields doesn't help:

1) switch to Print Preview to force the doc to repaginate.

2) Switch into Normal View, which will show all the section breaks. Are
they really all gone? Or View | Header/Footer--if you have multiple
sections, then they will be labeled Section 1, Section 2, etc.

3) View | Header/Footer and hit alt-F9, which should turn the page number 1
of 134 into a {Page} of {NumPages} field. Does it?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Before executing the merge, press Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of the
field codes and replace

{ numpages }

with

{ sectionpages }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Pam Coleman" wrote in message
I have a list of employees and a form created. I fill in the blanks with
the
employee information and then do a mail merge to create a new document
that
creates the form and fills in all the names. It has 134 pages. When I
create a footer and click on the number button it puts a 1, and then I
type
of and click on the total pages button and it puts 134. The problem is it
puts 1 of 134 on every page. The mail merge puts a section break between
every page. I have tried finding a section break and replacing with
manual
page break, but it still does not change the 1 of 134. What is wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you want the pages to be numbered 1 of 134, 2 of 134, 3 of 134, .... 133
of 134, 134 of 134,

Run the following macro when the document created by executing the merge to
a new document is the active document:

Dim i As Long
With ActiveDocument
For i = 1 To .Sections.Count
.Sections(i).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).PageNu mbers.RestartNumberingAtSection
= False
Next i
End With

You can also use Ctrl+A, then select Page Numbers from the Insert menu item,
then click on the Format button and then check the Continue from Previous
Section radio button, then click OK and then click CLOSE (Do NOT click OK).

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Pam Coleman" wrote in message
I have a list of employees and a form created. I fill in the blanks with
the
employee information and then do a mail merge to create a new document
that
creates the form and fills in all the names. It has 134 pages. When I
create a footer and click on the number button it puts a 1, and then I
type
of and click on the total pages button and it puts 134. The problem is it
puts 1 of 134 on every page. The mail merge puts a section break between
every page. I have tried finding a section break and replacing with
manual
page break, but it still does not change the 1 of 134. What is wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

She does want sequential numbering...this is a continuation of a previous
thread. Neat trick with the control-a, Doug. Thanks. I had no idea
control-a would help here--I thought she would need to do it 133 times,
which is why I suggested changing the section breaks to page breaks.

Pam--for these suggestions, do them on your original merge document, not the
copy where you tried to remove the section breaks.

On 1/30/06 6:36 AM, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yeah, that was news to me, too. Very useful trick.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Another way to do get 1 of 134, 2 of 134, etc. ...

Assuming each merge result is a single page (which it seems like), you can
use Section number instead of Page number, so ...

{ SECTION } of { NUMPAGES }

It's a bit more complex (but still possible) if each section is more than
one page.

--
Enjoy,
Tony