RCL AT NCM

Default work around for formating of objects so tbl of contents updates

I need a work around for getting word to recognize the format of headers in
inserted text objects so that the table of contents will include the headings
when updated.
Graham Mayor

I may be missing something here, but why not simply apply the heading
paragraph style to the mergefield and use a charformat switch on the field
to ensure that it retains that style (though it shouldn't be necessary).

RCL AT NCM wrote:
I need a work around for getting word to recognize the format of
headers in inserted text objects so that the table of contents will
include the headings when updated.

RCL AT NCM

Thanks Graham, I am a procedures writer and I have created what I call
common text. Common Text is text that is repeated throught our procedures.
It may be a sentence or it can be an entire page. Within this text are
several heading formats that define what text is included in the table of
contents. The common text is a document which I have to insert into the
procedure by inserting an object and link it to the file. Problem: When the
table of contents is updated it does not include the formated text of the
inserted object. How do I get word to recognize the formated text that needs
to be included in the table of contents?

RCL AT NCM wrote:
I need a work around for getting word to recognize the format of
headers in inserted text objects so that the table of contents will
include the headings when updated.

Graham Mayor

In my tests here, provided the inserted linked text has the correct styles
for the TOC, updating the TOC includes the inserted sections. This works
whether the text is simply cross referenced or from an external linked file.

RCL AT NCM wrote:
I need a work around for getting word to recognize the format of
headers in inserted text objects so that the table of contents will
include the headings when updated.

RCL AT NCM

Guess I don't understand. The files I have created have the correct styles
but when I insert a file (Insert/Object/Create from File/Lind to File) it is
as though Miscrosoft is placing a picture of the text in the document not
actual text. There seems to be no header styles for the document TOC to
recogonize. (Remember my reasoning for using this method is to save time and
error when updating common text used throught my manual which consists of
twenty documents.)

RCL AT NCM wrote:
I need a work around for getting word to recognize the format of
headers in inserted text objects so that the table of contents will
include the headings when updated.

Graham Mayor

Ah - the fog clears Use Insert file insert link (bottom right corner
of the file insert window) and not Insert object.
or use an includetext field.

RCL AT NCM wrote:
I need a work around for getting word to recognize the format of
headers in inserted text objects so that the table of contents
will include the headings when updated.

RCL AT NCM

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Ah - the fog clears Use Insert file insert link (bottom right corner
of the file insert window) and not Insert object.
or use an includetext field.

-- Your solution worked but I loose the global update feature that inserting an object has. Is there any way I can obtain the global update feature without inserting an object?