Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise Louise is offline

Default Automatically Generating Customised Footer in Templates

I need to be able to create a letter template but am not sure how to generate
a customised footer. If, when the template is used, the text goes over more
than one page, I need the text 'Cont'd' to appear in the footer and to appear
on every page except the last page. If the text fits onto one page only, then
I don't want anything to appear in the footer. Is using VB programming the
only way to achieve this? I am not a 'techie' so if this is the only way,
does anyone have any code that I can use?
--
Thanks, Lou
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

See: http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Louise" wrote:

I need to be able to create a letter template but am not sure how to generate
a customised footer. If, when the template is used, the text goes over more
than one page, I need the text 'Cont'd' to appear in the footer and to appear
on every page except the last page. If the text fits onto one page only, then
I don't want anything to appear in the footer. Is using VB programming the
only way to achieve this? I am not a 'techie' so if this is the only way,
does anyone have any code that I can use?
--
Thanks, Lou

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can do this with a field. The syntax of the field needs to say, "If this
is not the last page [in Word terms, if the current page number is less than
the total number of pages], and if the number of pages is more than 1, print
'Cont'd.'" You do it with this field:

{ IF { PAGE } { NUMPAGES } { IF { NUMPAGES } 1 "Cont'd"} }

You must insert each pair of field delimiters using Ctrl+F9, although, as a
shortcut, you can use the Insert Page Number and Insert Number of Pages
button on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert the { PAGE } and {
NUMPAGES } fields.

"Louise" (donotspam) wrote in message
I need to be able to create a letter template but am not sure how to

generate
a customised footer. If, when the template is used, the text goes over

more
than one page, I need the text 'Cont'd' to appear in the footer and to

appear
on every page except the last page. If the text fits onto one page only,

then
I don't want anything to appear in the footer. Is using VB programming the
only way to achieve this? I am not a 'techie' so if this is the only way,
does anyone have any code that I can use?
--
Thanks, Lou

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise Louise is offline

Suzanne, thanks for getting back to me. I think I'm being really stupid
though as I just can't seem to get anything to appear at all. I haven't had a
great deal of experience with fields such as 'IF'...

I have created a 3 page document and then went to ViewHeader and Footer.
Then, in the footer, I pressed Ctrl +[F9], typed the word 'IF' and then
clicked on the [page number] button then entered '' followed by [Number of
pages] button then pressed Ctrl+[F9] again followed by IF then clicked on
[Number of pages] button followed by 1 "Cont"

However, when I do Alt+[F9] to show results, I get 'Error! Unknown op code
for conditional' message repeating several times....

Am I doing something really stupid??
--
Thanks, Lou

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

I think it should be:
{ IF { PAGE } { NUMPAGES } { IF { PAGE } 1 "Cont'd"} }

The way I copy complex field codes from a newsgroup message is to copy and
paste. Then I select the innermost field words and press Ctrl-F9 to turn
them into fields and delete the corresponding typed braces. In the case of
this field, I would do this first with the Page and NumPages words, then
with the second IF field and finally with the complete field.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can do this with a field. The syntax of the field needs to say, "If
this
is not the last page [in Word terms, if the current page number is less
than
the total number of pages], and if the number of pages is more than 1,
print
'Cont'd.'" You do it with this field:

{ IF { PAGE } { NUMPAGES } { IF { NUMPAGES } 1 "Cont'd"} }

You must insert each pair of field delimiters using Ctrl+F9, although, as
shortcut, you can use the Insert Page Number and Insert Number of Pages
button on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert the { PAGE } and {
NUMPAGES } fields.

so
all may benefit.

"Louise" (donotspam) wrote in message
I need to be able to create a letter template but am not sure how to

generate
a customised footer. If, when the template is used, the text goes over

more
than one page, I need the text 'Cont'd' to appear in the footer and to

appear
on every page except the last page. If the text fits onto one page only,

then
I don't want anything to appear in the footer. Is using VB programming
the
only way to achieve this? I am not a 'techie' so if this is the only way,
does anyone have any code that I can use?
--
Thanks, Lou

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise Louise is offline

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Suzanne and Charles... it's now
working perfectly. Many, many thanks for taking the time to sort me out!
--
Thanks, Lou

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise Louise is offline

Have test this out and Suzanne, your answer was giving me exactly what I
needed... I was just missing some spaces!
--
Thanks, Lou

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ordinarily Word is not too picky about spaces one way or the other, but
occasionally it will require them. OTOH, in EQ fields, you have to remove
the terminal space in the field; otherwise, you end up with an unwanted
space in the field result. sigh

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can do this with a field. The syntax of the field needs to say,

"If this
is not the last page [in Word terms, if the current page number is

less than
the total number of pages], and if the number of pages is more than 1,

print
'Cont'd.'" You do it with this field:

{ IF { PAGE } { NUMPAGES } { IF { NUMPAGES } 1 "Cont'd"} }

You must insert each pair of field delimiters using Ctrl+F9, although,

as a
shortcut, you can use the Insert Page Number and Insert Number of

Pages
button on the Header and Footer toolbar to insert the { PAGE } and {
NUMPAGES } fields.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Louise" (donotspam) wrote in