Posted to microsoft.public.word.vba.general,microsoft.public.word.tables
niels niels is offline

Default Excel references in Word

Hi

I have some Word documents containing an Excel table and graphics.

My problem is that I would like to incorporate a value from the Excel table
into the text in the Word document.

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.vba.general,microsoft.public.word.tables

I don't think you can, unless you "fix" the link, in which case you may as
well simply copy/paste.

If the Word document is actually linked to an external Excel .xls file, you
can use Edit|Copy in Excel and Edit|Paste Special in Word to create a LINK
field that points to something in the Excel file.

In theory you can do this even if the Excel worksheet is embedded in Word,
but the problem is that Word updates the resulting LINK field either when
you select the field and update it, or when you save the document. It
doesn't make any difference how Tools|Options|General|Web
options|Files|Update links on save is set. You can't use a { FILENAME \p }
field to make sure Word gets it right, because Word wipes out the file name
next time, or wipes out the bookmark it uses to identify the copied range.
If you "fix" the link, you don't see the updates that occur inside the
embedded object.

I guess you could write VBA code to do it, but personally I'd look for
another solution.

Peter Jamieson

It doesnt make, and Edit|Paste Special in Word, just as if the Excel
worksheet was in a separate .XLS