Dab

Default Help with outlining - what happened to the Outline level buttons in 2003?

I'm currently using Word 2003.

In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The beauty
was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
button was clicked.

This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing something
wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

Daiya Mitchell

When in Outline View, go to View | Toolbars and see if you can call the
Outlining toolbar. That's what had the buttons.

On 5/24/05 3:21 PM, "Dab" wrote:

I'm currently using Word 2003.

In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The beauty
was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
button was clicked.

This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing something
wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Dab

Hi Daiya:

That's the first place I looked, unfortunately, the new toolbar doesn't have
the buttons anymore.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

.. .

On 5/24/05 3:21 PM, "Dab" wrote:

I'm currently using Word 2003.

In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The
beauty
was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
button was clicked.

This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing
something
wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Daiya Mitchell

Oh. I'm not very familiar with Word 2003, so I don't know if they removed
anything, and I'm not quite sure what your description means. In my version,
there are icons with just the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, etc on them--hitting 1
shows all the text in level 1--hitting 2 shows all the text that is in level
1 and level 2, and so forth.

Is that what you want? If that's it, you should be able to dig those
commands out of Tools | Customize and drag them onto your toolbar--in my
version they are named ShowHeading1, etc, and listed under View.

Alternatively, hitting Reset for the Outlining Toolbar in Tools | Customize
might bring them back.

If that isn't what you want, are you sure it was a built-in feature in the
previous version, and not something your work set up specially or anything?

On 5/24/05 3:21 PM, "Dab" wrote:

I'm currently using Word 2003.

In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The
beauty
was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
button was clicked.

This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing
something
wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Dab,

Yes, things changed a bit for outlining in Word 2003,
but you can collapse the outline

Toolbar reference
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC061050921033

=============
"Dab" wrote in message ...
I'm currently using Word 2003.

In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The beauty
was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
button was clicked.

This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing something
wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

--
Dab
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Dab

Hi Susanne:

Weird. There was no box, and no what to add one through customization,
however, I rebooted my computer this morning and now the box has appeared.
Thanks.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
There's a list box on the toolbar from which you select the lowest level
you
want displayed.

so
all may benefit.

"Dab" wrote in message
I'm currently using Word 2003.

In previous versions of word, there use to be buttons that would collapse
the text under various levels of headers when in Outline mode. The
beauty
was that you could look at only the main level, or the main + Secondary
level, or main + secondary + tertiary, or . .. etc, depending on which
button was clicked.

This feature seems to be gone from 2003. Anyone know if I'm doing

something
wrong or have missed something? Thanks for any advice.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

Dab

Hi Daiya:

I was able to add the buttons (And the show levels box appeared after a
reboot). Thanks for the suggestion.