Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed G Ed G is offline

Default How do I make a "null sign?"

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to do it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that particular
symbol.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I make a "null sign?"

  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the symbol.
  2. Click on the Insert tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the Symbol button in the Symbols section of the ribbon.
  4. Select More Symbols at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  5. In the Symbol dialog box, select Unicode (hex) in the From drop-down menu.
  6. In the Character code field, type "2205" (without the quotes).
  7. The null sign symbol should appear in the Symbol box. Click on it to select it.
  8. Click on the Insert button to insert the symbol into your document.

Alternatively, you can also use the keyboard shortcut "Alt+2205" (hold down the Alt key and type "2205" on the numeric keypad) to insert the null sign symbol.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed G[_2_] Ed G[_2_] is offline

It is a zero with a vertical slash running through it. It is not the capital
O with a slash through it. I found that one. I believe that is a Swedish
character. I am looking for the zero which is a more narrow O.

Thanks!

"Simon Jones [MSDL]" wrote:

What does a "null" sign look like?

Simon Jones

"Ed G" wrote:

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to do it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that particular
symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon Jones [MSDL] Simon Jones [MSDL] is offline

Words Equation Editor can insert the "Empty Set" symbol but that is a slashed
captial O rather than a slashed zero.

You can also use the Equation Field to overtype a zero with a slash.
{EQ \o(0,/)}
The curly braces are entered by typing Ctrl+F9.
Word puts spaces inside the braces. Delete them unless you want your slashed
zero to be followed by a space.
Press Alt+F9 to switch from showing the field codes to showing the result.

Simon Jones

"Simon Jones [MSDL]" wrote:

That is just a zero. Whether there is a slash through it or not depends on
how the character is rendered in the particular font you use. A font for
programmers such as Consolas uses a slashed zero. Most other fonts use
ordinary ones.

Consolas & Sydnie are the only fonts with slashed zeros on my PC.

Simon Jones

"Ed G" wrote:

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to do it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that particular
symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

By definition a "null sign" does not exist.

There is a symbol which looks like ...

... which is U+2400 (press and hold Alt while you type 9216 - or in recent
versions of Word type 2400 and press Alt+X)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Simon Jones [MSDL]" schreef in
bericht ...

"Ed G" wrote:

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to do
it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that
particular
symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Hi Tony,

The NUL character is from a completely different field,
telecommunications (along with characters such as ACK and BEL).

While a "null symbol" may not literally exist, there is a symbol for
the mathematical concept of a "null set" or "empty set". It's in the
Arial Unicode MS font as character 2205. And, contrary to Ed G's
statement earlier, it is not a zero with a vertical slash, it's a
circle with a diagonal slash.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Ed G" wrote:

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to do
it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that
particular
symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Hi Jay,

I didn't think of the empty set symbol which is easily got with the Equation
editor (in 2007 anyway).

I seem to have some sort of problem with the group as I don't see Ed G's
reply with that statement ... but ... if I search for messages from Ed G it
comes up so now I'm sure you've found the symbol he's after. I don't have
time to investigate right now.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Jay Freedman" schreef in bericht

"Ed G" wrote:

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to
do
it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that
particular
symbol.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] zolei.daniel@gmail.com is offline

2007. március 28., szerda 5:25:32 UTC+2 idÅ‘pontban Suzanne S. Barnhill a következÅ‘t Ã*rta:

"Ed G" wrote:

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to

do it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that

particular
symbol.

Type capital O. Mark this character. Then, in the third group of icons (Embellishments) click slash (third icon). This will result in the symbol of empty set.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] zolei.daniel@gmail.com is offline

Type capital O. Mark this character. Then, in the third group of icons (Embellishments) click slash (third icon). This will result in the symbol of empty set.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] dezygnher@gmail.com is offline

"Ed G" wrote:

I am trying to make a "null sign" in Word and cannot figure out how to

do it?
I am familiar with inserting symbols but cannot seem to find that

particular
symbol.

Symbol Normal Text basic Latin subset (Latin-1 supplement) Latin Capital letter O with stroke Character code 00D8 from: Uncode (Hex)
alsunaue alsunaue is offline
Junior Member

Having the same issue~~ What can i do??
yotta games
phamyen phamyen is offline
Banned

Thanks for sharing this valuable information to our vision. You have posted a trust worthy blog keep sharing.

1280x1024 HD Wallpapers
bessyasuna bessyasuna is offline
Junior Member

Null = empty
This is a programming language.
JXKJ1987: http://m.jxkj1987.com/en/

Last edited by bessyasuna : November 20th 18 at 07:09 AM