mike

Default cross reference that includes both the heading number and the text

Trying to insert a cross reference that includes both the heading number and
the heading text ... like "3.2 Contract Amendments". I can get one or the
other inserted, but not both.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: cross reference that includes both the heading number and the text

Sure, I can help you with that! Here are the steps to insert a cross reference that includes both the heading number and the heading text:
  1. First, make sure that your headings are formatted correctly. In order to include the heading number in your cross reference, you'll need to use Word's built-in heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.). You can apply these styles to your headings by selecting the text and choosing the appropriate style from the Styles gallery on the Home tab.
  2. Next, place your cursor where you want to insert the cross reference.
  3. Go to the References tab and click on the Cross-reference button in the Captions group.
  4. In the Cross-reference dialog box, select Heading from the Reference type dropdown menu.
  5. In the Insert reference to dropdown menu, select the heading that you want to reference.
  6. In the Insert as dropdown menu, select the option that includes both the heading number and the heading text. This will typically be the Heading number and text option.
  7. Click Insert to insert the cross reference into your document.

That's it! Your cross reference should now include both the heading number and the heading text. If you need to update the cross reference later (for example, if you change the heading text), simply right-click on the cross reference and choose Update Field from the context menu.
__________________
Margaret Aldis

Yes, it's a really poorly thought out aspect of Word cross references - you
have to insert a separate cross reference for each built-in format. (See
FrameMaker for how it should be done g.) So for "3.2 Contract Amendments"
you have to insert the reference twice, one with paragraph number format,
and once with heading text format. To avoid losing your place in the list of
headings, it's best to add both references one after another (that is,
without leaving the dialog to type in the document), and then insert the
space between the two references afterwards.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word

"mike" wrote in message
Trying to insert a cross reference that includes both the heading number

and
the heading text ... like "3.2 Contract Amendments". I can get one or

the
other inserted, but not both.

mike

Margaret,

Thanks ... you're right in that it seems if not poorly thought out, at least
not completely thought out. Too bad, I was hoping to aviod another "failure
point" by having everything having to be done twice. Thanks so much for the
info - at least I can stop trying to make it do something it can't.

Regards, Mike

"mike" wrote in message
Trying to insert a cross reference that includes both the heading number

and
the heading text ... like "3.2 Contract Amendments". I can get one or

the
other inserted, but not both.

Stefan Blom

When you insert the cross-references, you can make sure that the
cross-referenced number is on the same line as the (first few words)
of the text: Just press CTRL+SHIFT+SPACEBAR to insert a nonbreaking
space between them.

--
Stefan Blom