EamonX1

Default How to insert a Symbol into the Find and Replace Function in Word

I am using Word 2000 SR1. I have very lengthy document in Encoded Text
format, with New Courier font. A symbol (small box-like) occurs throughout
the document. It signifies quotation marks. When saved as a Word document the
symbol remains. I want to change this symbol into New Courier quote marks.
Since it occurs several thousand times in the document I do not wish to do it
manually. I want to make the exchange automaticaly using Word's Find and
Replace Function. However I find I cannot get the symbol into the Find box. I
cannot copy from the text and then paste it into the box? Also the Insert
Symbol function (either by clicking on Insert or using a Key code) will not
put the symbol into the Find box. Help needed here.

Doug Robbins

Have you tried using Ctrl+c to copy and Ctrl+v to paste the symbol into the
Find what control?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"EamonX1" wrote in message
I am using Word 2000 SR1. I have very lengthy document in Encoded Text
format, with New Courier font. A symbol (small box-like) occurs throughout
the document. It signifies quotation marks. When saved as a Word document
the
symbol remains. I want to change this symbol into New Courier quote marks.
Since it occurs several thousand times in the document I do not wish to do
it
manually. I want to make the exchange automaticaly using Word's Find and
Replace Function. However I find I cannot get the symbol into the Find
box. I
cannot copy from the text and then paste it into the box? Also the Insert
Symbol function (either by clicking on Insert or using a Key code) will
not
put the symbol into the Find box. Help needed here.

Martin P

A trick is to create a very simple macro:
Tools
Macro
Record new macro
Give your macro a name
OK
Edit
Replace
Put anything in the Find What field
Replace All
Stop the recording

You should see where the character has to go. You can use this macro in
future to Copy and Paste.

"EamonX1" wrote:

I am using Word 2000 SR1. I have very lengthy document in Encoded Text
format, with New Courier font. A symbol (small box-like) occurs throughout
the document. It signifies quotation marks. When saved as a Word document the
symbol remains. I want to change this symbol into New Courier quote marks.
Since it occurs several thousand times in the document I do not wish to do it
manually. I want to make the exchange automaticaly using Word's Find and
Replace Function. However I find I cannot get the symbol into the Find box. I
cannot copy from the text and then paste it into the box? Also the Insert
Symbol function (either by clicking on Insert or using a Key code) will not
put the symbol into the Find box. Help needed here.

EamonX1

to solve the problem using Word. However in the meantime I found a simple
solution to my immediate problem. I opened the document using WordPad and
found that in Wordpad (as in Notepad - but not in Word 2000) it is possible
to paste into the Find (and Replace) dialog box. So I was able to using Find
and Replace (in Wordpad) to remove the unwanted symbol.

"EamonX1" wrote in message
I am using Word 2000 SR1. I have very lengthy document in Encoded Text
format, with New Courier font. A symbol (small box-like) occurs throughout
the document. It signifies quotation marks. When saved as a Word document

the
symbol remains. I want to change this symbol into New Courier quote marks.
Since it occurs several thousand times in the document I do not wish to do

it
manually. I want to make the exchange automaticaly using Word's Find and
Replace Function. However I find I cannot get the symbol into the Find

box. I
cannot copy from the text and then paste it into the box? Also the Insert
Symbol function (either by clicking on Insert or using a Key code) will

not
put the symbol into the Find box. Help needed here.

Find and Replace GREEK symbols in XP, 2K & 97 Jazz Microsoft Word Help 3 April 8th 05 08:13 PM
Problem with function "Find and Replace" in Word. Pat Microsoft Word Help 3 March 16th 05 02:04 PM
Find and Replace Michael R New Users 11 January 22nd 05 06:31 PM
Find and Replace anomaly BruceM Microsoft Word Help 7 January 18th 05 06:47 PM
find and replace symbols Tewodaj New Users 8 January 11th 05 03:22 AM