Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa Melissa is offline

Default Email Mail Merge w/ Attachment Problems

Hello,

I am using the article submitted by Doug Robbins to send an email with an
attachment; however, I am running into a problem. I know I must be doing
something wrong but I can't figure out what it is. Can someone please help?

Here are the steps I've completed. I am using Microsoft 2003 for Outlook and
Word.

1. Selected Microsoft Outlook 11.0 Object Library under Tools-References.
2. Created a new Directory under Tools-Letters&Mailings-Mail Merge
3. Selected Directory as my Document Type
4. Added an Email and Attachment column from my data source (excel document)
5. Executed this to a new document
6. Saved and closed
7. Created a new Word document
8. Selected Letters under Document Type
9. Go to Complete the Merge (step 6)
10. Run the Macro
11. An open file window appears as if it wants me to select a file. I've
tried cancelling it and I've tried selecting the attachment.
12. The Enter the Subject message comes up. I enter a subject.
13. The message "a program is trying to automatically...." appears and I
select Yes. I only have this setup to send one email, however, every time I
try this it trys to send multiple documents.

It opens a new Word document than this message reappears from step 13. It
keeps cycling between a new Word document (every time the word document
number changes to the next number). I got to Document45 before ending the
program via the task manager. Nothing appears in my sent items either.

What am I doing wrong?

--
Melissa
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa Melissa is offline

I just figured it out... In case anyone else has the same problem....

When the open file window appears, select the directory file you created.

--
Melissa

"Melissa" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I think that is what the instructions say to do.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Melissa" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa Melissa is offline

I am sure it does but I am VB illiterate so it didn't come right out for me.

I sure do appreciate you putting this document together. This helps me
tremendously!!
--
Melissa

"Melissa" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jmac60 jmac60 is offline

Doug...
Where can I find your article? this is really slick! I'd like to learn how
to do this.

Thanks
John

"Melissa" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa Melissa is offline

Here you go.

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

--
Melissa

"Melissa" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sarah sarah is offline

Hi,

I'm apparently missing something very simple, but I can't seem to get
anything to attach to the emails. The macro sends the emails correctly,
except with no attachments. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sarah

"Melissa" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The filepath and name of the attachments in the directory document that you
create probably does not match the actual filepath and name of the files
that you want to send. It must be exactly the same. One space in the wrong
place will prevent the file from being attached.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

I think that is what the instructions say to do.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my