Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brisnicki

Default How do I enable page setup in a protected document?

Hi,

Is it possible to enable access to 'page setup' in a protected document?

I have a protected document that I use for my works letterheads.

Other staff use this template so I have locked it down so they cannot change
margins, etc. only the body text.

However, because the document is protected they do not have access to page
setup. Some staff would like access so they can use manual feed for some
pages and print from a particular tray for others.

This is not the case for all staff, just some, so I do not want to change
the main template to have page setup defaulted like this.

Is there a way that I can provide users with access to the page setup to
change as neccesary? Maybe programmatically?

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Seems like a lot of work for not much return. Are your staff really inclined
to make malicious changes to your page margins? Does it matter? Just switch
off the protection and get on with your real work.

"brisnicki" wrote in message
Hi,

Is it possible to enable access to 'page setup' in a protected document?

I have a protected document that I use for my works letterheads.

Other staff use this template so I have locked it down so they cannot
change
margins, etc. only the body text.

However, because the document is protected they do not have access to page
setup. Some staff would like access so they can use manual feed for some
pages and print from a particular tray for others.

This is not the case for all staff, just some, so I do not want to change
the main template to have page setup defaulted like this.

Is there a way that I can provide users with access to the page setup to
change as neccesary? Maybe programmatically?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brisnicki

In the past we have had cases where staff muched around with the templates
and removed important information that need to be there. They have also
changed the font and format of certain details so that the organisations
branding looks sloppy.

Would prefer a solution...

"Jezebel" wrote:

Seems like a lot of work for not much return. Are your staff really inclined
to make malicious changes to your page margins? Does it matter? Just switch
off the protection and get on with your real work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brisnicki

Thanks Suzanne but it is not just styles I need to prevent changes to. It is
also page margins.

The template has been set up to work for our letterhead paper exactly so it
has been locked down so that they cannot move stuff around accidentally.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word 2003 allows you to protect specific types of formatting (styles, for
example) without the restrictive functionality of forms protection.

news

"Jezebel" wrote:

Seems like a lot of work for not much return. Are your staff really

inclined
to make malicious changes to your page margins? Does it matter? Just

switch
off the protection and get on with your real work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't see how a change in page setup (margins) can be "accidental." For
most users, just stowing stuff in the page header/footer is enough to
prevent inadvertent tampering.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word 2003 allows you to protect specific types of formatting (styles,

for
example) without the restrictive functionality of forms protection.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"Jezebel" wrote:

Seems like a lot of work for not much return. Are your staff really

inclined
to make malicious changes to your page margins? Does it matter? Just

switch
off the protection and get on with your real work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
brisnicki

Can this be done? If so, please help me out.

I am a quick learner, so if there is a tutorial out there that does
something similar to this, please point me to it.

Please, no more replies asking 'why'... I just want to do it this way.

Thanks in advance

"brisnicki" wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to enable access to 'page setup' in a protected document?

I have a protected document that I use for my works letterheads.

Other staff use this template so I have locked it down so they cannot change
margins, etc. only the body text.

However, because the document is protected they do not have access to page
setup. Some staff would like access so they can use manual feed for some
pages and print from a particular tray for others.

This is not the case for all staff, just some, so I do not want to change
the main template to have page setup defaulted like this.

Is there a way that I can provide users with access to the page setup to
change as neccesary? Maybe programmatically?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You don't have to give them access to the page setup to allow changes to the
printer requirements. Use the method at
http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm and give them access to the macros
via a toolbar in a global template (or via your document template if the
form is indeed a template)
The macros will run without unlocking the document.