Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vickiatmtn Vickiatmtn is offline

Default Word 2002 Dictionary Lookup function

When I open a new document, the icon for the Dictionary Lookup function is on
the top right, but after a while it disappears. Which menu do I use to
access it, and why does it disappear? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Vmlja2lhdG10bg==?=,

When I open a new document, the icon for the Dictionary Lookup function is on
the top right, but after a while it disappears. Which menu do I use to
access it, and why does it disappear?

Word, out-of-the-box, doesn't have a "Dictionary Lookup" button. So I'm guessing
this may be some kind of add-in that's unloading or being blocked.

When you start Word, is the button there?

And if you hold down CTRL when starting Word (Safe Mode), to use the
installation defaults, is the button gone?

What does the button do when you click it? Please give a detailed description so
that we can recognize whether the functionality is part of Word, or an Add-in.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vickiatmtn Vickiatmtn is offline

The icon is visible when I open Word. When I open in safe mode, the icon is
not there.

The function allows you to look up the selected text in a dictionary without
leaving Word or your document.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Vmlja2lhdG10bg==?=,

When I open a new document, the icon for the Dictionary Lookup function is on
the top right, but after a while it disappears. Which menu do I use to
access it, and why does it disappear?

Word, out-of-the-box, doesn't have a "Dictionary Lookup" button. So I'm guessing
this may be some kind of add-in that's unloading or being blocked.

When you start Word, is the button there?

And if you hold down CTRL when starting Word (Safe Mode), to use the
installation defaults, is the button gone?

What does the button do when you click it? Please give a detailed description so
that we can recognize whether the functionality is part of Word, or an Add-in.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This functionality is almost certainly provided by an add-in, such as
Encarta.

"Vickiatmtn" wrote in message
The icon is visible when I open Word. When I open in safe mode, the icon

is
not there.

The function allows you to look up the selected text in a dictionary

without
leaving Word or your document.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Vmlja2lhdG10bg==?=,

When I open a new document, the icon for the Dictionary Lookup

function is on
the top right, but after a while it disappears. Which menu do I use

access it, and why does it disappear?

Word, out-of-the-box, doesn't have a "Dictionary Lookup" button. So I'm

guessing
this may be some kind of add-in that's unloading or being blocked.

When you start Word, is the button there?

And if you hold down CTRL when starting Word (Safe Mode), to use the
installation defaults, is the button gone?

What does the button do when you click it? Please give a detailed

description so
that we can recognize whether the functionality is part of Word, or an

Add-in.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Vmlja2lhdG10bg==?=,

The icon is visible when I open Word. When I open in safe mode, the icon is
not there.

The function allows you to look up the selected text in a dictionary without
leaving Word or your document.

In that case, we're certainly dealing with an Add-in, and something is causing the
Add-in to unload. The question is, what might that be. And in order to determine
that, we have to find out what kind of Add-in we're dealing with. My bet would be a
COM Add-in, and perhaps one programmed using .NET. If you have more than one Add-in
programmed in .NET there's a possibility that one is failing, and taking the other
down with it. So...

The next time this happens to you, go to Help/About. In that dialog box you should
see a button "Disabled items". Click that and tell us what (if anything) you see
listed there?

When I open a new document, the icon for the Dictionary Lookup function is on
the top right, but after a while it disappears. Which menu do I use to
access it, and why does it disappear?

Word, out-of-the-box, doesn't have a "Dictionary Lookup" button. So I'm guessing
this may be some kind of add-in that's unloading or being blocked.

When you start Word, is the button there?

And if you hold down CTRL when starting Word (Safe Mode), to use the
installation defaults, is the button gone?

What does the button do when you click it? Please give a detailed description so
that we can recognize whether the functionality is part of Word, or an Add-in.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)