Will

Default Printed Margins don't match settings ??

On page setup
I have the header and footer set at .35
I have the top and bottom bottom margins set at .75

Question...

1 - For the footer... does .35 mean from the bottom edge of the paper to the
bottom of the footer?

2 - For the bottom margin... does .75 mean from the bottom edge of the paper
to the bottom of the nornal text on the page?

Or does .75 mean the bottom of the normal text is .75 inches above the top
of the footer?

Finally... Is there any way to drag rulers onto the Word screen?

I'm trying to hold a straight edge up to the screen to try and see where
text falls relative to the ruler along the side.

thanks for any help.

bottom margin is rarely consistent; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/BottomLine.htm

There is no way to drag the ruler per se, but you can get an indication of
where text falls on the horizontal ruler by setting a tab and dragging it
back and forth along the ruler. Drag it off the ruler when you have
established what you want to know. There is no equivalent for the vertical
ruler, but the status bar tells you the vertical position of the insertion
point.

"Will" wrote in message
om...
On page setup
I have the header and footer set at .35
I have the top and bottom bottom margins set at .75

Question...

1 - For the footer... does .35 mean from the bottom edge of the paper to

the
bottom of the footer?

2 - For the bottom margin... does .75 mean from the bottom edge of the

paper
to the bottom of the nornal text on the page?

Or does .75 mean the bottom of the normal text is .75 inches above the top
of the footer?

Finally... Is there any way to drag rulers onto the Word screen?

I'm trying to hold a straight edge up to the screen to try and see where
text falls relative to the ruler along the side.

thanks for any help.

CyberTaz

Hi Will-

Word's (bottom) text margin settings are measured from the bottom edge of
the page to the lowest allowable text line based on font size & line spacing.
IOW, baseline of the last line of text will not necessarily be _at_ the
bottom margin, but will never be below it.

Footer margin is measured from botom edge, also, but to topmost point where
footer text can appear.

You can't put any ruler guides on the page, but you can go to
ToolsOptions-View, check the box for 'Text Boundaries', which will mark the
page at the points where your text margins are set.

HTH |:)

"Will" wrote:

[...]

This is not true, though I'll admit that it appears that way because of the
way the footer pane is displayed on the screen. But in fact the footer
margin is the space from the bottom of the page to the baseline of the
lowest line of text. Additional lines of text are added upward and push into
the document body as required.

"Will" wrote:

On page setup
I have the header and footer set at .35
I have the top and bottom bottom margins set at .75

Question...

1 - For the footer... does .35 mean from the bottom edge of the paper to

the
bottom of the footer?

2 - For the bottom margin... does .75 mean from the bottom edge of the

paper
to the bottom of the nornal text on the page?

Or does .75 mean the bottom of the normal text is .75 inches above the

top
of the footer?

Finally... Is there any way to drag rulers onto the Word screen?

I'm trying to hold a straight edge up to the screen to try and see where
text falls relative to the ruler along the side.

thanks for any help.

DSG

You may have some trouble with the 0.35 footer because most printers claim
0.5 for the bottom margin. If you want to see how much space you have to
work with you can do this:

Go to Tools Options View Turn on Text boundaries. Text boundaries will
show you where the margins are.

File Page setup Margins:
0
0
0
0
OK
You will get a warning that you have one or more margins set outside the
pritable area of the page. Click on FIX button, and you will see the minimum
settings allowed according to your printer requirements.

When you are doing page setup, all the measurements are from the edges of
the page.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Footer margin is measured from botom edge, also, but to topmost point

where
footer text can appear.

This is not true, though I'll admit that it appears that way because of
the
way the footer pane is displayed on the screen. But in fact the footer
margin is the space from the bottom of the page to the baseline of the
lowest line of text. Additional lines of text are added upward and push
into
the document body as required.

so
all may benefit.