Trevor Rasmussen

Default Slow loading when inserting pictures

I just got a new computer with Office 2003 on it. When I click on insert
picture, the box pops up, but upon clicking on a folder the system locks up
for almost a minute each time I click on a folder. It only does this in MS
Office products, not in any other applications that I have. It does this
pretty consistantly every time I click on a folder, but every once and a
while it just goes. It also does this with opening documents or using Save
As.

I went out to install any updates and they have all been installed and the
problem still remains. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong??
Michael_Corral

Trevor,

It could be many things. It could be the size of the document, your network
server, a lot of things. You will have to knock out each possible way to
find out what the cause is. What I would do is first perform Detect and
Repair€¦ option inside Word and on the Help menu. Then I would close all open
documents that I have open except for a blank new sheet from Word. Then go
to Insert Picture, but I would choose a very, very small picture, in
addition, I would first open that picture and save it to your Desktop. If
nothing else is running, i.e. Outlook, or other software and it is still
hanging, I would install more RAM. If you need help on how to install RAM,
does not solve the problem, and you inserted this picture from your Desktop,
there is a problem with your PC. There could be all kinds of things running
in the €śbackground.€ť Like spy ware and stuff like that. If you need
suggestions on this, just ask. If you have run spy ware cleaners, virus
cleaners, installed more RAM, and you are still not trying to do this from a
network, and the problem still persists. I would take you computer to a
professional or have them come to you.

Good luck and post your progress.

Mike

--
Top Notch Admin

"Trevor Rasmussen" wrote:

I just got a new computer with Office 2003 on it. When I click on insert
picture, the box pops up, but upon clicking on a folder the system locks up
for almost a minute each time I click on a folder. It only does this in MS
Office products, not in any other applications that I have. It does this
pretty consistantly every time I click on a folder, but every once and a
while it just goes. It also does this with opening documents or using Save
As.

I went out to install any updates and they have all been installed and the
problem still remains. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong??

MNTrevor

Michael
Thanks for the response. I am running the detect and repair right now...I
can guarentee you that its not a RAM issue. First I have 1 GB of RAM on the
computer along with a very fast processor. The computer is literally less
than 2 weeks old fresh from Dell. There is no spyware as I run regular checks
for that with Microsoft Antispyware and McAfee VirusScan.

The problem isn't actually inserting the picture but switching folders. For
example if it starts in My documents and I want to insert something in "my
pictures" I would double click on it and it will take about 1 minute to open
the My Pictures file. The same goes for clicking the down arrow up top and
selecting a new drive (like our network drive). The size of the folder
doesn't seem to influence the length of time from my estimations either.

"Trevor Rasmussen" wrote:

I just got a new computer with Office 2003 on it. When I click on insert
picture, the box pops up, but upon clicking on a folder the system locks up
for almost a minute each time I click on a folder. It only does this in MS
Office products, not in any other applications that I have. It does this
pretty consistantly every time I click on a folder, but every once and a
while it just goes. It also does this with opening documents or using Save
As.

I went out to install any updates and they have all been installed and the
problem still remains. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong??

Michael_Corral

Trevor,

Well to test this, I would still use a very, very small picture. If it is a
large picture, it may take a while, depending on the file type and the color
options you have chosen. It could also be your virus protection. It maybe
set to monitor everything and all actions, try turning it off, rebooting,
insuring that is still off and then try to do these actions that are hanging,
along with shutting down everything else that is active and or running,
besides critical or system files.

Let me know if it is your virus software and I may have some suggestions.

Mike

--
Top Notch Admin

"Trevor Rasmussen" wrote:

I just got a new computer with Office 2003 on it. When I click on insert
picture, the box pops up, but upon clicking on a folder the system locks up
for almost a minute each time I click on a folder. It only does this in MS
Office products, not in any other applications that I have. It does this
pretty consistantly every time I click on a folder, but every once and a
while it just goes. It also does this with opening documents or using Save
As.

I went out to install any updates and they have all been installed and the
problem still remains. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong??

garfield-n-odie

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop, left-click
on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped drives that are
not currently available.

Trevor Rasmussen wrote:

I just got a new computer with Office 2003 on it. When I click on insert
picture, the box pops up, but upon clicking on a folder the system locks up
for almost a minute each time I click on a folder. It only does this in MS
Office products, not in any other applications that I have. It does this
pretty consistantly every time I click on a folder, but every once and a
while it just goes. It also does this with opening documents or using Save
As.

I went out to install any updates and they have all been installed and the
problem still remains. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong??

DDavis

Like I totally agree with MNTrevor. Garfield-n-odie is my hero!!!!!!!!!! I
had to read the directions several times and finally had to have My Computer
open along side the response. I also selected "none" in the Network Drives
tab. WOW!! thanks, that fixed my "slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow,
slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, slow..." folder selection problem. Will it come
back? When I get another new computer will it happen again? Will it happen by
using a thumb drive? Garfield-n-odie is my hero!!!!!

Thanks