Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tcw

Default the loading of WinWord.exe is very slow

How to speed up the loading of WinWord.exe? I don't know why Microsoft Word
takes such a long time to open an empty document on my machine even this the
first program I try to run after a reboot. I am using Microsoft Office 2003
on a Windows Server 2003 machine with 1GB RAM.

Thank you very much in advance.

-tc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Tcw,

How to speed up the loading of WinWord.exe? I don't know why Microsoft Word
takes such a long time to open an empty document on my machine even this the
first program I try to run after a reboot. I am using Microsoft Office 2003
on a Windows Server 2003 machine with 1GB RAM.

Word initialization can take a long time if it's loading any Addins.

If you hold down CTRL when starting Word (to go into Safe Mode), do you notice
any difference in loading time?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tcw

Cindy,

Yes, it does speed up a little bit. Thanks.

-tc

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Tcw,

How to speed up the loading of WinWord.exe? I don't know why Microsoft
Word
takes such a long time to open an empty document on my machine even this
the
first program I try to run after a reboot. I am using Microsoft Office
2003
on a Windows Server 2003 machine with 1GB RAM.

Word initialization can take a long time if it's loading any Addins.

If you hold down CTRL when starting Word (to go into Safe Mode), do you
notice
any difference in loading time?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Tcw,

Yes, it does speed up a little bit. Thanks.

OK, the fact that starting Word in "Safe mode" speeds things up indicates you
do have Addins loading. If you start in Safe mode, these tools won't be
available. You'll also loose any customizations you may have made to the
interface.

You should track down which addins are being loaded and decide whether you
really want them, and if so, whether they should be loaded automatically.

Start by loading Word in the normal manner, then take a look at what appears
in the list under in Tools/Templates and Addins.

You should also drag the "COM Addins" button out of Tools/Customize/Commands,
Tools category, to your Tools menu. Then click on that and see if anything is
listed.

How to speed up the loading of WinWord.exe? I don't know why Microsoft
Word
takes such a long time to open an empty document on my machine even this
the
first program I try to run after a reboot. I am using Microsoft Office
2003
on a Windows Server 2003 machine with 1GB RAM.

Word initialization can take a long time if it's loading any Addins.

If you hold down CTRL when starting Word (to go into Safe Mode), do you
notice
any difference in loading time?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Slow loading when inserting pictures Trevor Rasmussen Microsoft Word Help 7 December 27th 05 10:38 AM
Error in Word when loading. [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 October 12th 05 09:12 PM
why is word 2003 slow payme New Users 1 April 9th 05 08:14 PM
Winword.exe is at 100% CPU ~ J Microsoft Word Help 1 January 31st 05 08:31 AM
slow loading of documents Jackie Parker Microsoft Word Help 2 January 21st 05 09:55 PM