Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] scult1@gmail.com is offline

Default view index entries

Hi All,
Is there a way, when marking index entries, to see entries that have
been marked already in order to decide where "this one" might go?
Seems pretty elementary.
TIA
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] scult1@gmail.com is offline

Thank you, but I meant how, as I mark an index entry I can see a list
of all the entries that are in the index already. I don't want to have
to go hunting through the whole doc for this I just want to see, as I
mark, that there is already an entry for, say :Presidents, Abe
Lincoln... etc.
Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm not sure what the problem is? If the current occurrence of a certain word
is "sufficiently important," you would want it in the index (even if the word
appears in other locations too).

Note that if you add an entry that already exists, only the new page number
will be added to the index; the entry won't appear twice.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

" wrote:

Thank you, but I meant how, as I mark an index entry I can see a list
of all the entries that are in the index already. I don't want to have
to go hunting through the whole doc for this I just want to see, as I
mark, that there is already an entry for, say :Presidents, Abe
Lincoln... etc.
Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

AFAIK, There isn't any such list - other than the index, itself - although I
imagine someone may have a macro for such a purpose. In the meantime, it's
only if you are manually encoding each Index field item that this would be a
concern: If you're using the Mark All button in the Insert Index Entry
dialog that alone should obviate the problem - as you come to an item you
intend to have in the Index it will already be marked if previously added.
With non-printing characters displayed (¶) the {XE~} codes will be visible.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/4/07 5:44 AM, in article
, "
wrote:

Thank you, but I meant how, as I mark an index entry I can see a list
of all the entries that are in the index already. I don't want to have
to go hunting through the whole doc for this I just want to see, as I
mark, that there is already an entry for, say :Presidents, Abe
Lincoln... etc.
Thank You

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] scult1@gmail.com is offline

Thank You. You seem to have understood my question.

although I imagine someone may have a macro for such a purpose.

Any idea *who* this guru is???

TIA

Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Not a macro, but an approach--open up the same document twice, in two
windows, scroll one window to the index, and keep updating the index
regularly. This should show you what you already have as you are marking
the new words.

Not sure how to open the same document twice in WinWord--maybe Window |
View Side by Side? Window | New Window?

wrote:
Thank You. You seem to have understood my question.

although I imagine someone may have a macro for such a purpose.

Any idea *who* this guru is???

TIA

Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Alternatively, you can split the window.

Word 2003: Window | Split.

Word 2007: View tab | Split (Window group).

Click at the location where you want to split.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP