Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wallace Wallace is offline

Default Outline numbering glitch

OK, I have read Shaua's outline numbering piece numerous times, and I have
carefully reviewed my Word 2003 Heading 1 settings to make sure they follow
her directions. But I still get this
Chapter 1.
1.1.
Chapter 2.
2.1.
1.2.1.
1.2.1.1.
When I want this
Chapter 1.
1.1.
Chapter 2.
2.1.
2.1.1.
2.1.1.1.

I know this has something to do with renumbering after level 2 but I'm not
sure what. Maybe one of you can help. Thanks.

--
Wallace
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It seems as if the previous level numbers and the current level number have
been reversed for level 3. In the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog
box, delete the contents of the "Number format" box for level 3. Then
reinsert numbers in the correct order, using the list for previous numbering
levels as well as the "Number style" for the current level number. Type in
the periods. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Wallace" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wallace Wallace is offline

Well, some progress. I did what you suggested and level 3 did in fact change
to what I wanted. I did the same thing for level 4, though, and got this

Chapter 2.
2.1.
2.1.1.
1.2.1.1.

I double-checked using the previous level dropdown to insert the numbers,
and checked to ensure that the numbering restarted after level 3. Oh yes, and
following Shauna's directions, all the levels are connected to their
respective heading styles.
--
Wallace

"Wallace" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wallace Wallace is offline

OK --- my problem was that I did not enter the numbering style for level one
by using "level 1" in the "Previous Level" dropdown. I was reading it too
literally and assuming that Level 1 had no previous level, so how could I
enter it by using some dad-blamed "previous level" dropdown? The problem was
that Word did not record the previous level as level one, but began the
string at level 2.

By using the Previous Level dropdown to enter the numbering style for level
1, I integrated it into the numbering family so that subsequent levels would
pick up that previous level number and not begin numbering until after the
previous level number or numbers had been passed.

Well, what the hay --- 4 years of undergrad, 3 years of law school and it
only took me about a half a day to figure this out. Stefan, thank you very
much for pointing me in the right direction.
--
Wallace

"Wallace" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Wallace" wrote:

Well, what the hay --- 4 years of undergrad, 3 years of law school and it
only took me about a half a day to figure this out. Stefan, thank you very
much for pointing me in the right direction.

Just think, luckily you were doing it for yourself and not charging someone
your usual hourly fees, otherwise it would have taken you a few days, if not
a few weeks!
;-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Wallace" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm a bit confused by your description above... For level 1 you should be
able to use the "Number style" box to add numbering (or to change the number
style of existing numbering at the chosen level); the "Previous level" box
is required only when adding higher levels to a lower level (for example,
when including the numbering of level 1 and 2 at level 3).

Stefan, thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm glad I could help. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP