Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_4_] Chad Harris[_4_] is offline

Default Converting text with links to" simple html"

I am fairly sure that 1) this group doesn't deal with html--it deals with
converting text so that it can be read in Word.
2) MSFT hasn't got a newsgroup on web page design or simple html. I have
made a very small 500 word or so document to submit somewhere, and I'm being
asked to submit it in "simple htnl." I have tried to convert the links to
html but that is not what the person I'm submitting to wants. I don't know
how to convert my text with links to "simple html." Maybe someone knows
where I can get this done.

I looked at http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_primary.asp but I'm still not
sure how to use it to get done what is required. I know this is off-topic
to this group, but I don't find any other MSFT group that seems appropriate.

TIA,

CH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_4_] Chad Harris[_4_] is offline

Hi Terry--

That's an interesting idea. I never thought of using Word to do this until
I was told I was required to submit this document as "simple html." I'm
emailing the doc and I have to use a yahoo account to do it. I've saved IE
shortcuts web pages as .mhts and not been able to find much info about that
which probably has no relationship to this. There is also an option to save
a web page as an html which has no relations to this I bet either.

If I understand you you mean to save as Filtered HTM in Word. Here's
exactly what I did but the result is no different than my original word
document. That is strange. What you suggested should have/could have done
what I was asking for help to do.

1) I have my original 500 page Word 2007 SP1 document. To my knowledge
there is no Office SP2 due until 2009. I try to keep up with the service
packs.
http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/p...FormatsPR.mspx

2) The original is simple text with 3 hyperlinks. I made a new document and
pasted it into the new document so I could keep my original and try to save
as filtered .htm.

With the duplicate, I did this:

FileSave As (dialogue box)on the pull down with several options I chose
"Save as Filtered .htm"

The title of the document was "How To Fix Vista When It Won't Boot" (the
recipient wants to post it on their web site and made the request for me to
send it as a "simple .html document." I'm honestly not sure what the
difference is between "simple .html" and a "filtered .htm" So I saved as
"filtered .htm" and the document comes up unchanged and the title is now
"How To Fix Vista When It Wo.htm" (But the text is unchanged. It's still in
regular English with no brackets or none of the trappings we'd normally
associate with .html.)

When I right click on the original document (in recent
documents)properties it is designated as a Word document.

When I right click on the document I saved as filtered .htmclick
properties, it is designated as an html document.

I suppose I could browse in Yahoo email and browse to this document and send
it to the recipient as an attachment.

But what worries me is it says it is an .html document now, but it looks
precisely the same.

Thanks for your time very much. I'm confused, but that's not a new
development in a lot of venues.

CH

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you open it in a browser and use File | View Source, you'll see that it
is HTML. If there's any way to view the HTML source in Word 2007, I haven't
discovered it, and Help, as usual, is useless. According to Office MVP Bob
Buckland, however (in a thread slurped at
http://help.lockergnome.com/office/H...t929968.html):

"You are no longer able to view the HTML source from within Word's use of
the MS Script Editor (that has
been disconnected).

"To view and edit the source in Word you'd need to reopen the HTML file in
Word after turning on the Word option to
[x] Confirm Word file format conversion on open
(Alt, T, O, A then scroll down to the 'General section')
and when you open the Word HTML file choose 'Plain text' as the file type."

I suppose you could also open the file in Notepad to see the HTML source.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_4_] Chad Harris[_4_] is offline

Thanks as always Suzanne. The situation is this and I don't know if I
accomplished it. Chris Perillo who is a tech writer, consultant evangelist
was participating in an HP/MSFT giveaway contest. To enter you had to write
short 500 word articles on any topic. He invites you to email it and I was
using Yahoo email for the contest (sure I have Outlook 2007 but I set up a
yahoo mail account for the contest).

Here you can see exactly how he is posting these "html documents" and what
they look like. You can see what the finished product is of what he wants
at the link below.

http://chris.pirillo.com/

So to get the word count, I composed the document to enter in Wordthen
pasted it into Yahoo mail and had to deal with a few zigzags to straighten
out which is always the case when you do that. I'll show you here what I
composed and pasted into Yahoo below. I thought all was fine and dandy and
I got back an email from Chris that said, "You have to submit this as a
simple html document."

I don't know how to make web pages, but I have posted on forums where they
add brackets for urls, bold, etc. so I knjow how they are formatted so I
went to a site that converts text into simple html and I thought I was done
and that wasn't what he wanted. So then I went to
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_primary.asp and tried to adapt their
methods and that wasn't what he wanted. He emailed back "can't you get help
from a friend." I don't have any people available right here who make web
pages or know much about .html, so when Terry suggested I save as a filtered
..htm from Word I did that and it did produce an html document that shows up
as a web page. I hope that's what he wants.

What I originally pasted into Word 2007 SP1 was this:

How to Fix Vista When It Won't Boot
1) A number of people who help in this area obsess with interpreting the
stop errors. This is not difficult, and a simple google will get this done.
I find them basically useful to steer you to a hardware problem or a
software problem, and don't suggest obsessing or spending much time at all
on them.
2) Review any new installations including hardware, software, or drivers.
Check for common hardware problems that could cause the "no boot", even if
the stop error message suggests it's software induced. This includes
having updated MOBO drivers, checking the battery, checking that cables are
tightly seated, all the cares are in correctly and tightly; and that your
memory sticks are seated correctly, and are compatible with the pc. Check
the integrity of your cable pins. Finding a broken one can save you hours
of time. Check that the RAM installed is compatible with your MOBO, and
that it's seated correctly.

3) If you have a Vista DVD, or can borrow one since you don't need a
Product Key to use these tools, either Startup Repair or the Bootrec.exe
tool should get you back up and running.

How to Use Startup Repair: (Any of the links provide screen shots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png
4) Here is the MSKB for rebuilding the BCD using very simple quick
commands
from the command prompt which you can either reach with by inserting a Vista
DVD or by tapping F8 when you start your pc and at the F8 (Windows Advancd
Options Menu) selecting "Safe Mode with Command"

Using the Bootrec.exe tool to Fix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

You may only have to type these commands--it has helped me to fix a variety
of software no boots consistently:

bootrec /Rebuild BCD
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /scanos
bootrec /Fixboot

5) In addition you can try all of the options at F8 to use system restore
fix this. The point here is that sometimes trying system restore from one
of the F8 safe modes works, when system restore from the others don't.
Since they each take only seconds to try, if the options above don't work,
I'd try them. The F8 options in Vista are the same as XP, and the MSKB link
i for Safe Mode Boot options is labeled XP by MSFT, but they are the same
for Vista (they haven't updated to add Vista to the title as they have with
several MSKBs that apply to both).Then you can also try (it takes a couple
seconds) LKG--Last Known Good Configuration at the F8 menu. Documentation on
how to do this follows.

6) Try to F8 to the Windows Adv Options Menutry 3 safe modes there (I
don't use WGA for this purpose) and Last Known Goodthen I go to Win RE in
Vista. That gives you a choice of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, and
Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

These methods are outlined in

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore from MSFT:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../faqsrwxp.mspx

System Restore can be run from the Win RE recovery environment from the same
link as Startup Repair, and sometimes it will work from one F8 safe mode
location or from the Win Recovery Environment when it won't work from other
locations.

He wanted me to convert that text into an html document, and I hoped by
saving it from Word as a "filtered.htm" in the drop down from the dialogue
box (FileSave AsSave as Filtered .htm) that I accomplisehed what he wanted
since if you right click the doc in recent documentsproperties it does show
up as an html document. It looks the same but it comes up as a Window with
a file path to "Documents" in Vista.

Maybe what he wants is the .html source with all the brackets, etc. (sorry
I'm being so crude but I just have never learned to make html web pages--I
haven't really needed to do that).

I guess what you mean is he wanted the view that View as a Source would have
given me. I will work on following the steps that you sent me. I'm
determined to "get 'er done" as a recently prominent ditz brain who wanted
to be a heartbeat away from the oval office who was much less qualified than
Tina Fey used to say.

Many many thanks. You and Bob have always been a great source of help.

CH

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

According to the pages I looked at, it appears that you're supposed to just
type or paste the text into the box on his Contact page. That should result
in plain text. Now that it has appeared here, you should be able to grab the
text (through Microsoft's Communities on the Web, not with a newsreader) and
copy/paste, since what's displayed on a MS Web page is presumably "simple
HTML."

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

restore to
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_4_] Chad Harris[_4_] is offline

Suzanne--At the risk of sounding and being dense, I've read over the
directions several times. I'm trying to figure out how I can view the html
source.

Step 1 is to "turn on the [x] Word option to confirm on Open etc. and I'm
having trouble knowing where and how I go in Word to do that. I'm stumped
on the use of [x] and then using the key combo Alt, T, O, A do you use those
guys in succession and what do you see after doing it correctly to confirm
you've done the right steps?

I know Bob wrote it clearly and the fault is mine for not understanding
exactly what I do/where I go in Word to follow his steps. Would you mind
restating the steps in succession that I take and then I'll be able to get
it done.

Thanks very much,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_4_] Chad Harris[_4_] is offline

I'll give that a shot. It would have saved some time if Chris had told me
that in the first place. I know from seeing some of the blog posts that not
every user of his site is html conversant. I think what you mean is to take
the html document that I've made from saving in word as a filtered .htm that
produced it and pasting that into his contact box.

If you don't mind putting Bob's suggestion into step form just in case (I
apologize I couldn't repro Bob's steps) I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks for all your time.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_4_] Chad Harris[_4_] is offline

Suzanne--

Alt,T,O, A is the keyboard shortcut that brings up the Word Options dialogue
box, but I don't see a scroll down to an entry called "General." on the
list of word options or in any of them.

Thanks,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I do see a General section in the Advanced Word Options, and it does contain
the "Confirm file format on open" check box.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The link you gave in your message (http://chris.pirillo.com/) has a link to
"HP Magic Giveaway" which takes you to
http://chris.pirillo.com/2008/12/04/...et-a-computer/. Item 2 on that
page is as follows:

"Write an original how-to, what-is, or top-five article on ANY subject. You'll
submit your entry through my contact page. Submissions should be made ready
to be pasted into a new entry on this very blog. Use HTML sparingly."

"submit your entry through my contact page" is a link to
http://chris.pirillo.com/contact/.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Chad Harris[_4_] Chad Harris[_4_] is offline

Yes mam. You are right. I missed it somehow. I tried viewing via editview
source and ended up downloading a simple text to word converter because it
was hard to separate text pasted into email from the many tags. ect. on a
busy web page.

Thanks very much for your time. Sorry it took me so long to get the hang of