Sho Nuf!

Default File with multiple versions larger than separate files

I just learned about the versions option in Word and tried to combine eight
different files into one file with eight versions, like this:

Thesis 1
Thesis 2 --------- Thesis
Thesis 3, etc.

Each of these files is about 70 KB, but the new file (with eight versions)
is about 2.3 MB! Why is that? Even if each version had nothing in common
with the previous ones, it shouldn't take more than the original filesize to
save the info, should it? Is there anything I can do?
Daiya Mitchell

DO NOT USE THE VERSIONS FEATURE IN WORD. If you mean the feature where Word
handles versions instead of you doing Thesis #1 (as of October), Thesis #2
(as of December), that is putting all your eggs in one basket with a
vengeance. One little corruption and everything you have is gone. Stick to
the tried and true Save As, and happily build up 12 versions of your thesis,
knowing they double as backups. Which if you are like me, you aren't as
good about making as you should be.

I think it's irrelevant cause I would never use the feature, but yes, I
would expect a Versioned file to be bigger.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/