Erika

Default No more .tmp files

I understand how TMP files work but I thought after you close out of word
they should go away automatically - any ideas on why they are not deleting
automatically after I close completely out of Office? (Office XP)
CyberTaz

For one thing, Windows is not particularly expedient about doing it's
housekeeping. Sometimes those temp files appear in the content window but
they actually don't exist, sometimes they don't get trashed until you shut
down the system.

Regards |:)

"Erika" wrote:

I understand how TMP files work but I thought after you close out of word
they should go away automatically - any ideas on why they are not deleting
automatically after I close completely out of Office? (Office XP)

Graham Mayor

They should go, provided Word has not crashed and provided that Word is not
open because you are using it as an editor for Outlook and Outlook is still
open. A cleanup would probably help. See -
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Erika wrote:
I understand how TMP files work but I thought after you close out of
word they should go away automatically - any ideas on why they are
not deleting automatically after I close completely out of Office?
(Office XP)

Larry Lester

Another option--
With Word closed, access Windows Task Manager (Alt+Ctrl+Del).
Select Processes
Select WinWord.Exe
Click End Process
Eureka-- now you can delte the tmp file.

In passing, if you have more than one WinWord process open--and it
happens--Word Table functions do not work properly. Same solution.

--
Larry Lester

"Erika" wrote:

I understand how TMP files work but I thought after you close out of word
they should go away automatically - any ideas on why they are not deleting
automatically after I close completely out of Office? (Office XP)

Charles Kenyon

This is a _bad_ idea. When Word is closed and is not being used as Outlook's
email editor it should not appear in the processes. If it does, it is still
running for some reason. Ending the process is the equivalent of
deliberately crashing Word. Not a solution I would recommend for cleaning up
stranded files.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.