Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
suz

Default What does the backward arrow on the tab key do?

There are two keys on the tab button I am aware that the forward one moves to
a standard or defined position but what does the back arrow mean?? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rajkohli

Only 0% computer people around me know about this. This is use to move back
as you move forward by pressing TAB.

To use this, you have to use a combination of SHIFT+TAB.

Hope this information will be sufficient as you can use this method to move
backward as you move forward pressing TAB.

Let us know!

"suz" wrote:

There are two keys on the tab button I am aware that the forward one moves to
a standard or defined position but what does the back arrow mean?? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rajkohli

0% computer people around me know about his. This is to move backward as you
move forward by pressing only TAB. To move backward use SHIFT+TAB.

Let us know, if this information is useful to you.

"suz" wrote:

There are two keys on the tab button I am aware that the forward one moves to
a standard or defined position but what does the back arrow mean?? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Note that the Shift+Tab functionality assumes that one of the
following options is checked:

For Word 2000 and earlier: Tools Options, Edit tab: "Tabs and
backspace set left indent."

For Word 2002 and later: Tools AutoCorrect, AutoFormat As You Type
tab: "Set first and left indent with tabs and backspaces."

If the appropriate option is cleared, Shift+Tab is no different from
Tab.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"suz" wrote:

There are two keys on the tab button I am aware that the forward

one moves to
a standard or defined position but what does the back arrow mean??

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rajkohli

I think he is not asking how to use backword TAB in Word or any application.
He is asking the general use of that backword TAB functionality.

"suz" wrote:

There are two keys on the tab button I am aware that the forward

one moves to
a standard or defined position but what does the back arrow mean??

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Where appropriate, back tabbing via Shift+Tab does the reverse of forward
tabbing - both in and out of Word. In Word, however, the action of the Tab
key is context sensitive - in some circumstances, user-configurable - and it
may do one of many things which may or may not have a logical opposite
action.

Regardless of settings, if the Tab key gives you a tab character, then
Shift+Tab in the same circumstances will also give you a tab character.

If you have the options Stefan mentions set and Tab gives you an auto
indent, then back tabbing will 'auto outdent' - that is, the reverse of
forward tabbing.

If you don't have formatting marks displayed you may not, however,
immediately notice the difference in the above two situations.

If you are in a table, on the other hand, the Tab key moves the selection
forward to the next cell and the back tab action moves back to the previous
cell, again the reverse of forward tabbing and, again, regardless of any
options.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"suz" wrote:

There are two keys on the tab button I am aware that the forward

one moves to
a standard or defined position but what does the back arrow mean??

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

The question has been asked in a newsgroup devoted to Word. Is it not
reasonable to assume the question is about Word?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"suz" wrote:

There are two keys on the tab button I am aware that the forward

one moves to
a standard or defined position but what does the back arrow mean??

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

And for outline-numbered lists it changes the numbering level, Tab and
Shift+Tab changes the numbering level (if the Edit/AutoCorrect option
is set).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP