Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] derfmannews@gmail.com is offline

Default Mapping/Pasting text from a Template into a Word doc using Macros/Links

My job requires me to produce several similar documents ("Working
Documents") per day. I have a "Master Document" which contains all of
the language variations/changes that I could potentially insert into
any particular "Working Document", depending on the situation/needs of
the end-user of the document.

In essence, my goal is to create a push-button process, through the
use of document linking macros and/or templates, as necessary, so that
I could essentially select which text in the Master Document should be
input into a particular Working Document, and that text would
automatically be embedded, linked or pasted into the Working Document.

Ideally, I would want some sort of button next to each language option
in the Master Document that, when pressed, would activate some sort of
mapping macro which would embed that particular language into the
Working Document. For example, if I had 4 possible modifications that
I could make to Paragraph 8 of the document, I want to be able to push
the button next to "Paragraph 8, Modification 3" in the Master
Document and have that language pasted into Paragraph 8 of the Working
Document.

The Master Document is currently in MS Word but I could convert it
into an excel file if that would make the rest of this easier.
However, the Working Document has to be MS Word. I have also
considered turning the Master Document into a template with macros,
whereby I could push the button (or check the box) and only the
selected text would remain in the Working Document.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Fred - You're looking to reinvent the automobile by starting with a horse
cart & a pile of scrap iron... Why not use Word's AutoText feature? That's
exactly the type of thing it's intended for. Not only would you not have to
spend time jumping back & forth between your "master" the the current doc
hunting for & clicking buttons, but you wouldn't neet the master & all that
VBA in the first place. You can look it up in Word Help & have a look he

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoText.htm

If using Word 2007 check out Building Blocks.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

oups.com...