Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fletchb fletchb is offline

Default Office Comp Pack for 2007

I downloaded High-Priority/Required updates to
desktop running Office XP Pro 2002
notebook running Office XP Pro 2003
and then downloaded the Comp Pack to both machines.

I also downloaded Excel Viewer for 2007 to both machines.

Only the Viewer on the the desktop (2002) is functional.

On the notebook (2003) the xlviewer.exe can be identified but will not
extract.

Despite several repeated downloads of the updates and the Comp Pack files.
neither machine can open Excel 2007 documents.

The install process seemed to be complete, but there is no evidence of the
Comp Pack files in my Add/Remove Programs lists.

Am I correct to assume that the Comp Pack should enable my 2002/2003
machines to open Excel 2007 files directly from these Excel programs?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello fletchb

fletchb wrote:
[..]
The install process seemed to be complete, but there is no evidence of the
Comp Pack files in my Add/Remove Programs lists.

I'm sitting at a very old computer with Office 2000 here (XP SP2) and
the Compatibility Pack does show in Add/Remove Software (including a SP1
for the Compatibility Pack and a Security Update for Office 2007 :-)).
These are separate entries from the main Word/Office entry.

Am I correct to assume that the Comp Pack should enable my 2002/2003
machines to open Excel 2007 files directly from these Excel programs?

Yes. And Word 2000-2003 should open docx files with installed
compatibility pack.

..2cents
Robert
--