Nigel

Default Custom Labels need to have a fully defineable Page length

I have 2 points really, but I don't know if I'm missing something obvious.

1) It seems to me that custom labels should allow for the overall page
length to be under user control. Both Word & Outlook seem to ignore any
settings I make in envelopes and labels or mail merge. The problem is made
worse because the printer driver always issues a formfeed, so printing a
single label on a single column by 6 high tractor fed dotmatrix custom form;
leaves the paper in completely out of position & wastes 5 labels.

2) It would be really useful to be able to choose which fields from the
address book are included on a label. In Word, using the address book
dropdown box, the company name is ommitted from the address label. Sure this
can be overridden.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds
Graham Mayor

1. Word will allow any page size the current printer driver is capable of
printing. In the label options select 'dot matrix'.
2. The fields used are determined by an autotext entry called AddressLayout
Copy and save the following as an autotext entry with that name (no space
between Address and Layout)

{PR_GIVEN_NAME PR_SURNAME
}{PR_COMPANY_NAME
}{PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS}

the range of fields available for this method is listed at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm

Nigel wrote:
I have 2 points really, but I don't know if I'm missing something
obvious.

1) It seems to me that custom labels should allow for the overall page
length to be under user control. Both Word & Outlook seem to ignore
any settings I make in envelopes and labels or mail merge. The
problem is made worse because the printer driver always issues a
formfeed, so printing a single label on a single column by 6 high
tractor fed dotmatrix custom form; leaves the paper in completely out
of position & wastes 5 labels.

2) It would be really useful to be able to choose which fields from
the address book are included on a label. In Word, using the address
book dropdown box, the company name is ommitted from the address
label. Sure this can be overridden.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Nigel

That's excellent news Graham about being able to define the fields included
in the address dropdown by defining an Autotext - I'll get right on that.

With respect though, the page length is not definable in the way you
suggest. Although my labels are oddball and not to an Avery or similar
standard, they are normal: 1 column x 6 high, 90mm wide x 47.2 high with an
overall page length of 304mm. One can certainly specify those details in the
custom label feature, but those aren't the details retained when the label is
viewed again and the page length is not editable thereafter.

The requirement is to be able to print one label or more labels at a time.
After each label, the driver issues either a formfeed or top of page command
and 5 blank labels are issued. I've been through the printer driver settings
labouriously and custom pagelength is not there the closest being 8.5 x 12
inches. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your input.

Nigel wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

Word will only print what the printer driver will allow it to. The dot
matrix check box in the label dialog is supposed to allow tractor fed labels
to print. You may have to alter a dip switch setting in the printer to stop
the skip-over perforations. I don't have access to tractor feed printer to
check this out.

Nigel wrote:
I have 2 points really, but I don't know if I'm missing something
obvious.

1) It seems to me that custom labels should allow for the overall
page length to be under user control. Both Word & Outlook seem to
ignore any settings I make in envelopes and labels or mail merge.
The problem is made worse because the printer driver always issues a
formfeed, so printing a single label on a single column by 6 high
tractor fed dotmatrix custom form; leaves the paper in completely
out of position & wastes 5 labels.

2) It would be really useful to be able to choose which fields from
the address book are included on a label. In Word, using the address
book dropdown box, the company name is ommitted from the address
label. Sure this can be overridden.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds

Nigel

Yes the dip switch is set OK.

I suspected the issue of a top-of-form or formfeed after each label was
inbuilt to the printer driver. I am hoping that I can devise a separator page
file with the the correct codes to tell the printer that the page length is
zero and that the printer driver doesn't send a reset code before each print
- but I think it's a long shot. After that I'm out of ideas.

I just can't believe I'm the only person who wants to print one-off labels
from the address book on an adhoc basis without wasting paper of course.

Thanks for your help.

Nigel wrote:
[...]

Nigel

Hi Graham, I'm back again.

I eventually solved the paper feed problem by defining a custom form in the
server properties of printers and faxes. The ability to define a custom label
size in Word's envelopes and labels is compromised and does not allow the
overall page length to be specified and stored.

However I have been unsuccessful in defining an Autotext entry called
AddressLayout that functions in the manner you describe. I can define
something along the lines of:

«AddressBlock»
{ ADDRESSBLOCK \f "_TITLE0_ _FIRST0_ _LAST0_ _SUFFIX0_
_COMPANY_, _STREET1_ _STREET2_ _CITY_ _STATE_
_POSTAL_ _COUNTRY_" \l 2057 \c 2 \e "United Kingdom" \d }

and define that as Autotext AddressLayout but that still does not enter the
Company Name when the Address Book Dropdown is used in the Envelopes & Labels
Menu.

Does this dropdown fill an Autotext entry?

Regards
Nigel

Nigel wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

Copy the following (from here) paste into a document and save it as an
autotext entry called AddressLayout.

{PR_GIVEN_NAME PR_SURNAME
}{PR_COMPANY_NAME
}{PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS}

This should work with the envelope/label wizard.

As for the addressblock, that is something entirely different and probably
best avoided. For mail merging labels, use the individual fields spaced as
you want them see http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm
and http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

Nigel wrote:
[...]

Nigel

Hi Graham

Yes that's what I did the 1st time you suggested it. So I did it again (copy
& paste) just to be sure.

Yes the field definitions within the braces does appear 'ready and waiting'
on word's envelope/label wizard, but when the address drop down is used to
fill it with an address from Outlook's address book, the label is filled out
as before - omitting the company name.

My Office 2k3 installation is virgin as far as I can see with no other
custom changes or macros. I'm not usually this dim, but this one's got me
stumped.

Regards
Nigel

Nigel wrote:
[...]

Graham Mayor

It is difficult to envisage exactly what you are doing wrong here. I am
puzzled by the comment about the fields appearing in the label wizard. They
should not. the AddressLayout autotext merely sets the layout for addresses
inserted from Outlook into the label wizard.

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212345
and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292127

Nigel wrote:
[...]

Nigel

Excellent. Having followed the instructions in article 292127, I can confirm
that the new AddressBook Dropdown button performs as required, and is indeed
using the new field definition to AddressLayout. However the same button is
not accessible when using the envelope/label wizard, and the dropdown in the
wizard still ignores the new field definition to AddressLayout. Incidentally,
the fields nolonger appear in the blank label!

Weird as it sounds, the wizard dropdown button appears to operate with a
different Autotext entry. If only I knew what!

Also Article 212345 refers to Word 2000, whilst Article 292127 refers to
Word 2002, whilst not giving a reason as to why the workaround should now be
necessary.

Thanks again for your assistance in solving this issue.
Regards
Nigel.