"View - Header and Footer" setting not retained

Old March 30th 06, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "View - Header and Footer" setting not retained

I'm using Word 2003. I need to know why the "View - Header and Footer"
setting is not retained. Whenever I open Word, the blank default
document does not show the header and footer areas, but it used to.
How did I lose this? Whenever I open a new document or a saved
document, I have to turn on "View - Header and Footer". How did I end
up with this emasculated functionality? Thank you.

--
userinphilly
Old March 30th 06, 05:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is an Options setting, saved in the Registry. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

"userinphilly" wrote in
message m...

Old March 30th 06, 05:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yo! Try the Print Layout View. That lets you see headers and footers. If
you still don't see your headers and footers you probably got rid of the
"White Space." In the Print Layout view hover the cursor at the bottom/top
of the next page and a little arrow should appear. This lets you toggle the
white space on or off. When the white space is not visible, neither is the
stuff in it, like your headers and footers. See if that helps.

"userinphilly" wrote in
message m...

Old March 30th 06, 06:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you. I went to the MVP page and read the following:

"Because it is so easy to do this by accident, many users find this
option very annoying."

I must admit, I have to agree with that statement. What an annoyance
that was! But I'm thankful to understand how to disable that nasty
feature and get my precious white space back.

Suzanne S. Barnhill Wrote:
This is an Options setting, saved in the Registry. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"userinphilly" wrote in
message m...

Old March 31st 06, 05:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although the feature can be very useful, and making it accessible with a
click is also useful, the Word MVPs made the suggestion that in Word 2007,
this require a Ctrl+click. I don't know whether that suggestion has been
implemented or not.

"userinphilly" wrote in
message m...