Default Cursor does not stay where it is in Word 2003

Hello,

What I liked about Word 2002 and below was that even when you scroll
using the scroll wheel on your mouse, the cursor stays where it is.
Therefore, when you want to go back to the cursor, you can just press
the right arrow or left arrow and Word will bring you back to where the
cursor is.

However, with Word 2003, I don't think this feature works anymore. Now,
instead, the cursor moves to a somewhere on the current "screen". I
find this more inconvenient. Is there any way to have the cursor stay
where it is regardless of where I am viewing within the document?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

The cursor stays where it is in my installation of Word 2003.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

What I liked about Word 2002 and below was that even when you scroll
using the scroll wheel on your mouse, the cursor stays where it is.
Therefore, when you want to go back to the cursor, you can just press
the right arrow or left arrow and Word will bring you back to where the
cursor is.

However, with Word 2003, I don't think this feature works anymore. Now,
instead, the cursor moves to a somewhere on the current "screen". I
find this more inconvenient. Is there any way to have the cursor stay
where it is regardless of where I am viewing within the document?

I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

It moves either one space to the right or one space to the left of its
original position, depending upon which key is pressed. That movement I
would consider to be appropriate.

Are you sure that you are not left clicking with the mouse in the position
to which you are scrolling before using the cursor movement keys?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

GR

Mr. Robbins,
My cursor acts the same as newlywed's. Is it possible there is a selectable
option in Word 2003 that forces the cursor to act the way newlywed wants it
to act?
GR

It moves either one space to the right or one space to the left of its
original position, depending upon which key is pressed. That movement I
would consider to be appropriate.

Are you sure that you are not left clicking with the mouse in the position
to which you are scrolling before using the cursor movement keys?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I guess it is possible that one of the 1800 odd commands in Word does
control that behaviour, but, I do not know what it is and right now, I am
using a version of Word that I installed on a computer on Tuesday and I
haven't made any specific modifications to the "out of the box
configuration.

--

"GR" wrote in message
Mr. Robbins,
My cursor acts the same as newlywed's. Is it possible there is a
selectable option in Word 2003 that forces the cursor to act the way
newlywed wants it to act?
GR

It moves either one space to the right or one space to the left of its
original position, depending upon which key is pressed. That movement I
would consider to be appropriate.

Are you sure that you are not left clicking with the mouse in the
position to which you are scrolling before using the cursor movement
keys?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

Tony Jollans

Under Tools Options Edit tab, the option is Use Smart Cursoring.

I must say I prefer the new way - it really used to irritate me suddenly
getting thrown back to where I had been just by clicking an arrrow key - but
it'd be a dull world if we were all the same.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"GR" wrote in message
Mr. Robbins,
My cursor acts the same as newlywed's. Is it possible there is a
selectable option in Word 2003 that forces the cursor to act the way
newlywed wants it to act?
GR

It moves either one space to the right or one space to the left of its
original position, depending upon which key is pressed. That movement

would consider to be appropriate.

Are you sure that you are not left clicking with the mouse in the
position to which you are scrolling before using the cursor movement
keys?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

Shauna Kelly

Hi GR and newlywed

In Word 2003, try un-ticking Tools Edit Use Smart Cursoring.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"GR" wrote in message
Mr. Robbins,
My cursor acts the same as newlywed's. Is it possible there is a
selectable option in Word 2003 that forces the cursor to act the way
newlywed wants it to act?
GR

It moves either one space to the right or one space to the left of its
original position, depending upon which key is pressed. That movement I
would consider to be appropriate.

Are you sure that you are not left clicking with the mouse in the
position to which you are scrolling before using the cursor movement
keys?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Checking or unchecking "Smart Cursoring" does not make any difference for
me.

When you say you have it unchecked, just where does the cursor end up when
you press one of the cursor movement keys?

--

"GR" wrote in message
Mr. Robbins,
My cursor acts the same as newlywed's. Is it possible there is a
selectable option in Word 2003 that forces the cursor to act the way
newlywed wants it to act?
GR

It moves either one space to the right or one space to the left of its
original position, depending upon which key is pressed. That movement
I would consider to be appropriate.

Are you sure that you are not left clicking with the mouse in the
position to which you are scrolling before using the cursor movement
keys?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

Luc

Doug,
It ends up at the place the cursor was before you started using the mouse
wheel to scroll down or upwards.
If I understood newlywed correctly he uses the scrollwheel to view a part of
the document while the cursor is located somewhere else. Pressing the arrows
brings him back to the place the cursor was. If the option is checked,
pressing the arrow keys brings you somewhere on the page you scrolled to.
Luc
"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" schreef in bericht

"GR" wrote in message
Mr. Robbins,
My cursor acts the same as newlywed's. Is it possible there is a
selectable option in Word 2003 that forces the cursor to act the way
newlywed wants it to act?
GR

It moves either one space to the right or one space to the left of its
original position, depending upon which key is pressed. That movement
I would consider to be appropriate.

Are you sure that you are not left clicking with the mouse in the
position to which you are scrolling before using the cursor movement
keys?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

Luc

Doug,
Are you saying there is no difference if the option is checked or unchecked?
I am using the Dutch version here but that should not make any difference.

"GR" wrote in message
Mr. Robbins,
My cursor acts the same as newlywed's. Is it possible there is a
selectable option in Word 2003 that forces the cursor to act the way
newlywed wants it to act?
GR

It moves either one space to the right or one space to the left of
its original position, depending upon which key is pressed. That
movement I would consider to be appropriate.

Are you sure that you are not left clicking with the mouse in the
position to which you are scrolling before using the cursor movement
keys?

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I was not clear in my original questions.

Does the cursor stay where it is even when you press right arrow or
left arrow from a distant page?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant and turning off the "Tools Edit
Use Smart Cursoring" option worked!
Thanks for your support everyone.