Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apb apb is offline

Default transfering Publisher to Word

I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem to be able
to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that I can print directly
onto the letterhead and save as such. How can I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word will not read Publisher files.
Copy and Paste is probably your best bet.

apb wrote:
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem to
be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that I can
print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How can I do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have Pub 2003, you can save that Pub doc as a .jpg, use a graphics
program to trim out what you don't want, and then insert that into a Word
doc.

I have to ask - why didn't you just use Word to create the letterhead in the
first place?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem to be able
to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that I can print directly
onto the letterhead and save as such. How can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apb apb is offline

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem to be able
to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that I can print directly
onto the letterhead and save as such. How can I do this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can you do that in word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Why didn't you just use a graphics program if that's all you were doing?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem to be
able
to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that I can print
directly
onto the letterhead and save as such. How can I do this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can you do
that in word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Publisher is entirely the wrong tool for this.
You have a few options.
1. Write the letters in Publisher - this can work if you want to mail merge,
but is highly impractical for anything else.
2. Copy the graphics and paste to Word as I suggested imitially and hope
that you can re-arrange the graphics to display as you had them in
Publisher.
3. Create/edit the graphics in a proper graphics application and insert the
results into Word.

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem to
be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that I can
print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How can I do
this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can you
do that in word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apb apb is offline

I've tried copying the letterhead and pasting it to word but it comes up
completely differently and I can't change it back to the original with the
tools in word. (that's why it was done in publisher in the first place).
What do you mean by a proper graphics application and in what program?

apb

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem to
be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that I can
print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How can I do
this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can you
do that in word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are clearly not reading what has already been posted. PUBLISHER AND WORD
ARE INCOMPATIBLE!!!!!
If you can't change the pasted version to a facsimile of what you had in
Word then end of story.
By a proper graphics application I mean something like Photoshop or one if
its cheaper clones. Something that allows you to create the graphics that
you want to put on your letterhead. Then see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem
to be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that
I can print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How
can I do this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can
you do that in word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Apb,

What will sometimes work, for reusing Publisher single page content in Word, is to use the Web Page save/open capabilities of the
two programs (success in this can depend on a number of factors, including how complex your letterhead is, which design you started
with and how close to the margins you placed things).

Here is one method you may want to try.

1. In Word use View=Toolbars and turn on the Drawing Toolbar.

2. In Word use Tools=Options=General and turn on
[x] Confirm Conversions on Open

3. In Word use Tools=Customize=Commands, select the 'Drawing' category and then drag the 'select multiple objects' command to the
Drawing toolbar (next to the already present 'white arrow' icon, then close the customization dialog, then close Word (If prompted
to save changes to the global template, choose Yes).

4. In Publisher, open your letterhead file then use
File=Save as Web page (single file) and save it to an empty folder and close Publisher. Make a note of the file name and folder
name.

5. In Windows Explorer, locate the .htm or .mht file you just saved, right click it, choose 'Open With' and select Microsoft Word.

5. In Word, once the file is opened in Word click on the 'Select Multiple Objects' choice on the drawing toolbar and choose 'Select
All'.

6. In Word, on the drawing toolbar use Draw=Group.

7. In Word use ctrl+X to cut the letterhead object out of the main document area.

8. In Word use View=Header and Footer and use Ctrl+V to paste the letterhead there.

9. In Word save the file as a .dot (template) or a .doc file then use View=Print Layout to see if that gives you close to your
original letterhead.

================
"apb" wrote in message ...
I've tried copying the letterhead and pasting it to word but it comes up
completely differently and I can't change it back to the original with the
tools in word. (that's why it was done in publisher in the first place).
What do you mean by a proper graphics application and in what program?

apb
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you try what I suggested in the first response?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem to
be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that I can
print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How can I do
this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can you
do that in word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apb apb is offline

To Graham Mayor,
I still can't understand how Microsoft 'Word' and Microsoft 'Publisher' can
be INCOMPATIBLE. They are both part of my Windows XP system. I could
understand if one was Apple and the other Microsoft, but both being Microsoft
programs it just doesn't make sense to have two INCOMPATIBLE PROGRAMS on the
same system!

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem
to be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that
I can print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How
can I do this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can
you do that in word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They are two separate programs! Microsoft also makes Paint and Windows Media
Player and they aren't compatible.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem
to be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that
I can print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How
can I do this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can
you do that in word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Graham is struggling to get you to read what he is writing... I will try a
different way, but I have a feeling that "there are none so deaf as those
who will not hear..."

Word will not import Publisher documents. Because THAT'S THE WAY IT WAS
DESIGNED.

Please try to understand that Publisher is a cheapie "toy" page-layout
program that was built down to a price. The idea was to make an affordable
program that would enable home users to do basic publishing.

Word and Publisher can produce files that look and print almost exactly the
same. But the internal binary representation is utterly different, because
of the different purposes the two bits of software have when they come to
work on that file.

To use an analogy, it's as if you were creating an advertisement for
different countries. You might express one in English for use in America,
and advertise the same product in Arabic for use in Iraq. The intended
audience would understand the same thing from each advertisement, but the
ads would look completely different.

High-end publishing programs such as are used to make magazines and
newspapers contain programs to translate the internal structure of one file
type into their native structure. But these translators are large and
expensive programs.

Microsoft had to make a choice: Sell Publisher for $99.00 without
translators, or for $850.00 with translators. They chose to produce the
cheap version, figuring that would suit the majority of customers.

If you have the $850.00 to spend, go buy Adobe Creative Suite 2 and you will
not have the problem. If you don't want to spend that much, then you either
insert your publisher file into Word as a graphic, or you can't insert it
into Word.

Graham suggested that you might re-draw the thing in Word. Word has a more
advanced version of the same drawing tools in it that Publisher has. That's
what I would do too.

Otherwise: Sorry! The programs are incompatible. Oh: and NEITHER of them
are "part of the Windows XP system". Windows XP is an operating system that
does not include any applications at all. Word is a member of the Office
System. Publisher is a member of the Consumer Applications bundle.

The That's about as clear as I can make it :-)

Cheers

On 15/1/07 11:01 AM, in article
, "apb"

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem
to be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that
I can print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How
can I do this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can
you do that in word?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Publisher is a cheapie "toy" page-layout program"?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote in
message ...

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem
to be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that
I can print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How
can I do this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can
you do that in word?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apb apb is offline

Dear Bob,

Thanks for your advice. I tried what you suggested but it comes up in Word
as ten seperate items. I can get these items on the page but the tools in
Word cann't reorganise the items back to the original letterhead.
Anything else I could try?

Thanks,
apb

"apb" wrote in message ...
I've tried copying the letterhead and pasting it to word but it comes up
completely differently and I can't change it back to the original with the
tools in word. (that's why it was done in publisher in the first place).
What do you mean by a proper graphics application and in what program?

apb
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
apb apb is offline

Dear JoAnn,
Thank you for your in depth explanation of Microsoft 'word' and 'publisher'.
Now at least I have an understanding of the situation and why this problem
exists.
It's unfortunate that I cann't do what I want to do so I'll continue to
layout the typing in 'word' for the letterhead and then print it on a
letterhead.

Thanks,
apb

"apb" wrote in message
I made up my letterheads in Microsoft Publisher but I don't seem
to be able to transfer the letterheads to Microsoft Word so that
I can print directly onto the letterhead and save as such. How
can I do this?

I used publisher to modify the graphics for the letterhead. Can
you do that in word?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi APB,

Having the separate items can be a good thing in this case, in case you need to relocate or modify the items

When you used the 'Select Mutliple Objects' tool (which grabs all of the items so you can group them together) did all of the pieces
show up in the dialog box for you to use the [Select all] button?
If not, then before opening the document in Word, use
Tools=Options=Edit
to set the "Insert/Paste Pictures" setting to 'in front of text'
then try using the steps again.

===============
"apb" wrote in message ...
Dear Bob,

Thanks for your advice. I tried what you suggested but it comes up in Word
as ten seperate items. I can get these items on the page but the tools in
Word cann't reorganise the items back to the original letterhead.
Anything else I could try?

Thanks,
apb
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And once again I'll ask - did you try what I suggested in my very first
response?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"apb" wrote in message
I've tried copying the letterhead and pasting it to word but it comes up
completely differently and I can't change it back to the original with
the
tools in word. (that's why it was done in publisher in the first place).
What do you mean by a proper graphics application and in what program?

apb
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OxfordCleric OxfordCleric is offline

Have you thought about going in the other direction? Create your letter in
Word, then insert your Word file into a text box in your Publication.