Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dena

Default table column width problems

Dear Friends,

I need your help. I searched and was unable to find the help I need. I
also am a "supposed" Word expert -- but can not seem to fix this problem
without alot of manual work (which seems unnecessary - there must be a
faster/easier way).

The problem -- I have a document which is composed of many tables.
Different parts of the tables were done by different people -- and thus even
though a template was provided the final product contains columns of
different widths.

I cut and paste the pieces together and then find that my table has
different cells with different widths (due to being worked on by different
persons) - meaning that for example the first few cells of a column are one
size and the next fews cells under that are another size. When I go to table
properties and column width and select the size -- the cells change but the
lines of the table do not even up (the unalignment of the cells in the column
remains).

And, sometimes (can't figure out why) -- when I select multiple columns and
chose one size for all -- they do not all come out the same size! Even
though table properties says a column is a certain size it is not (or at
least its not visually the same size as its neighbor column).

I would think that there must be a way to select a column and if there are
cells within it that are offskew/or misaligned -- that it would even it up
for you. I have been trying to move the lines of the table manually but seem
to have trouble getting it exact (I use Ctrl Alt Shift) -- and the look is
unprofessional. Also if you select many columns and give one width that they
all should BE that width.

Also if I want the tables to be the same size throughout the document -- I
usually copy down what it says in the table properties per column and then
apply to the new table -- however it does not apply accurately and the tables
are not the same!

I hope you can understand what I am refering to. There is nothing in Help
on this --and it seems to me that this should be an obvious formatting option
in Word. I just want my columns to line up and the column widths to be
accurate.

Can any one help.

Thank you very much,
DENA