Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nnetfabio nnetfabio is offline

Default Mail merge by data categories

Hi I'm trying to implement the following mail merge
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294686/en-us

I followed the instructon perfectly but it doesn't work. The result should be:
Atlanta

Galos $3,000
Delaney $50,000
Henningsen $10,000

Houston

Johnson $8,000
Kelly $9,000
Pak $0

But in my case I obtain

Atlanta

Galos $3,000

Atlanta

Delaney $50,000

.... etc

so the grouping mechanism doesnt' work. It seem that the MERGESEQ didn't
work and also the carriage return (ENTER key). I'm using excel and word 2007

_______________________________________
This is the script. Field braces are inserted pressing CTRL+F9 and the
carriage return is done by press the ENTER key.

{ IF { MERGESEQ } = "1" "{ MERGEFIELD CITY }¶
" "" }{ SET Place1 { MERGEFIELD CITY }}¶
{ If { Place2 } { Place1 }"¶
{ MERGEFIELD CITY }¶
¶
{ MERGEFIELD EMPLOYEE } { MERGEFIELD SALES }" "{ MERGEFIELD EMPLOYEE } {
MERGEFIELD SALES }" }{ SET Place2 { MERGEFIELD CITY }}¶

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Did you have the data source sorted by location and did you set the merge
document type to directory?

Fellow MVP 'macropod' has posted a tutorial on this, with working field
codes and a sample Excel data source, at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=731107

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nnetfabio nnetfabio is offline

Hi Graham,
yes I have the data source correctly sorted and I have choosen the document
type directory.
The strange behaviour is that I have downloaded also the macopod's example
files and they dont' work neither on my PC with Word and excel 2007, nor in
another machine with excel and word 2003.
As soon as I open the word file a popup window appears saying:
"If you open this document the following command will be executed:
Select * from c:\users\Waramanga\Documents\System\Catalogue Merge Data.xls
Do you want to continue?"

If I click on "Yes" a blank page opens. I have verified if the data source
is connected and it is.

Do you think that could be a problem the office language? I have Word and
Excel in Italian.

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The main document is supposed to be empty initially - have you read the
tutorial document that accompanies it?
The security message can be suppressed -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765. See also the Word macro to toggle
the registry setting referred to in that link at
http://www.gmayor.com/word_vba_examples.htm#SQL.

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nnetfabio nnetfabio is offline

Graham, I don't mind about the popup message, it's not a problem, the problem
is that the page is blank even if I press SHIFT+F9 or ALT + F9 (in my italian
version). No fields are shown.
Do you have any other example that I can try?
Thanks
Fabio

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Graham,

It seems I'm going to have to add some text to the mailmerge main document to tell the eager beavers to read the tutorial!!

--
Cheers
macropod

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nnetfabio nnetfabio is offline

Graham sorry, may be I miss something or is not clear to me what the example
should contain.
On page 1 of the tutorial I read:
"Using the Sample Data File & Mailmerge Main Document
For the purposes of testing the fields in the examples given in this
document, you can simply copy the fields to the accompanying €˜Mailmerge Main
Document file, without going through the steps in the section titled €˜Set Up
the Main Mailmerge Document. You may, however, need to re-attach the data
source €“ Word will prompt you if this is required."
So my expectation is that the "Mailmerge Main Document.doc" contains already
the mail merge fields.
Is it correct my understanding or not?

Fabio

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nnetfabio nnetfabio is offline

Hi macropod,
I have read the tutorial and I would thank you for having spent time on
writing this document, what I don't understand is the example file you have
provided.
Can you read the response I gave to Grahm? It's not clear to me the
paragraph "Using the Sample Data File & Mailmerge Main Document". Do I need
to set up the Mail Merge Document by myself or the example should contains

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Doesn't that statement that you quoted that "you can simply copy the fields
to the accompanying 'Mailmerge Main Document' file" mean to you that you
have to copy the fields to the Mailmerge Main Document file?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

news

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nnetfabio nnetfabio is offline

Sorry Graham,
now I have understood. It was not clear to me that inside the "Catalogue
Mailmerge Tutorial.doc" there are the mailmerge fields that have to be copied
to the "Mailmerge Main Document".
It was due most probably to my bad english. Sorry for that. In any case
after having understood the tutorial I still have the problem. I did the
following steps:
1. Opened the "Mailmerge Main Document.doc" clicking yes to perform the
query and connect data source
3. Pasted the fileds on "Mailmerge Main Document".
4. Pushed the preview button to see the results. This is what it is showed:

ACT Canberra

Yang $2.100

5. Pushing the next button to see the following record I see

Roulston $4.000

So the first row disappered. This happen also for the following records and
also if I come back to the first record. The first record shows just the
following row

Yang $2.100

But the more strange thing that happen is: going back to steps 1 to 4, if
instead of pushing the next button, I simply iconize the word application, as
soon as I restore it the first row disappered.

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You have not completed the merge. You must merge to the printer or to a new
document. See
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...#only_one_page
which covers essentially the same issue.

nnetfabio wrote:
Sorry Graham,
now I have understood. It was not clear to me that inside the
"Catalogue Mailmerge Tutorial.doc" there are the mailmerge fields
that have to be copied to the "Mailmerge Main Document".
It was due most probably to my bad english. Sorry for that. In any
case after having understood the tutorial I still have the problem. I
did the following steps:
1. Opened the "Mailmerge Main Document.doc" clicking yes to perform
the query and connect data source
tutorial

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nnetfabio nnetfabio is offline

Graham I have completed the merge and the result is still strange because I
see only the key field displayed.
Looking the status bar on the bottom left I read:
Page: 1 of 1 | Words 122
By pushing the paragraph symbol the words appeared and the list is complete,
but if the paragraph is disabled I cannot see the list. Also if the paragraph
is enabled and I click on print preview I see only the first key field.

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have inserted the appropriate fields into the mailmerge main document
and merged to a new document you should get the results in that new document
as shown in the relevant sections of tutorial. I certainly do here. I cannot
immediately spot where it is you are going wrong. No doubt macropod, whose
tutorial it is, will be along later to offer suggestions.

nnetfabio wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
nnetfabio nnetfabio is offline

Thank you very much Graham now I have the necessary knowledge to troubleshoot
by myself.
You was very helpful,
Thank bye