Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Pat Pat is offline

Default Pre-set Salutations

I would like to know how to use a pre-set salutation, (assigned to each
contact previously), in a mass mail merge for a client database, where one
letter is being used for many different contacts. For example, in a templete
saved letter, the preset salutation for one contact is Mr. & Mrs. Smith. In
the next contact I might refer to the contact as Joe and Mary.

This becomes problematic when I have to manually type or choose a salutation
Word offers me at the time of letter creation. If I were to have a custom
field field called Salutation, I could pre-fill my salutation of choice in
the contacts area and then just run the mail merge with automatic salutations
filling the chosen letter, specific to each contact.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I assume that you are using the AddressBlock mail merge field. Instead of
doing that, just insert the merge fields that you want, including your
proposed salutation field in the configuration that you want them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP